AP2095 Pilots Notes General

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi,

This is my first post. I signed up to get a look at these Pilot's Notes so that I could get in good with my father-in-law - his dad flew a Spitfire MkV over Malta. Anyway, I've downloaded the file (it's about 26MB) and whether I open with Preview or Adobe 9 I get the same result: the first two pages (cover and inside cover) are crystal clear and perfect. After that the pages are basically unreadable to me - like trying to read without one's glasses - all the text seems blurry / furry - I can't really describe it. Is it like this for everyone else? I did notice that while the file is a PDF, the individual pages seem to be JPGs. Any help would be appreciated - Thanks.

PS I may have joined specifically for this, but I've been lost in reading the other posts for hours - what a fantastic community!

Alright, I solved my technical problems and made a new copy of the manual that is much easier to read - and thankfully in time to give a printed version to my father in law - the son of a Malta Spitfire pilot - for Christmas. If there is anyone else out there interested in a PDF of this manual, I will try to attach it to this post (16.4 MB).

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• AP 2095 Pilot's Notes General OPTIMIZED SMALL SIZE.pdf
    16.4 MB · Views: 333
I have downloaded the file and opened with Adobe Reader ver. 6.0.CE. No problem . Also direct opening of the file from the site has been without any troubles.
So , either you don't have the Adobe Reader installed at all or incorrectly. Also you might need to install a plugin for reading PDF files if you use Mozilla Firefox net browser.

Thanks for posting those notes Ozhawk.

As you are based on Oz with an interest in these things I wondered if you might be able to suggest how I could track down a notable Aussie wartime pilot – Wing Commander Donald G Andrews who was in 453 Squadron in 1943.

I have a particular interest as I have just bought MkVc Spitfire EE602 for full restoration and the then Flt Lt Andrews flew her in July 1943 when 453 were stationed at Ibsley in the New Forest, Hampshire. I understand that Donald Andrews remained in the RAF and even became station commander of Biggin Hill in 1958.

It's too much to hope that Donald Andrews would still be alive (he would have been 90 this year) but if not it would be great to find his family and maybe see some pictures of his time at Ibsley, maybe even with EE602. I'm also hoping to invite anyone with some connection with EE602 to her first flight once she is completed.

I know it's really a long shot and you may have no more idea then me as to how to track him or his family down but I hope you don't mind my asking.

Many thanks

Hi Chris

Congratulations are definitely in order for your purchase and best of luck getting her back in the air again. I'm sure you would get plenty of support from the members of this forum, including the Aussie's that seem to abound around here!

There are several key links for info on Donald G. Andrews (if you haven't found them already)

A short Biography
The Spitfire Association

Donalds RAAF personnel file at the National Archives
Search Retrieve - 30932751

His RAAF history, papers and documents are held at the Australian War Memorial
404795 Wing Commander Donald George Andrews, DFC | Australian War Memorial
Search collection | Australian War Memorial
Search Retrieve - 516032

More links
http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/i-used-to-sit-in-a-tree-and-pretend-i-was-a-pilot-about-wcdr-don-andrews.html
Wing Commander Donald George ANDREWS 404795 DFC

I haven't turned up an obituary for him. There are a couple of good leads in the information above. I'm happy to receive PM's if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

Very many thanks for your speedy and very helpful reply, its much appreciated, as well as your good wishes for EE602. I'll get a website up for her over the next couple of months with restoration updates and other info under domain www.ee602spitfire.com. Here is a link with a good photo of EE602 and some squadron history which you may find interesting:-
Spitfire MK Vc Serial No EE602

I'll follow up the links for Donald Andrews and see where it takes me. Let's keep in touch and I do appeciate your offer of further help, if he is still around it would be fantastic.

Best wishes

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back