Approach to Weathering: Will It Work?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ambaryerno

Airman
Jul 21, 2020
I'm curious if anyone has ever tried this technique for weathering a model:

1) Mask off any areas that aren't metal, and spray the whole thing with metalizer to create a BMF look.
2) Spray whatever color primer would have been used on the historical aircraft (IE Yellow Zinc Chromate on an F4U Corsair) over the metalizer.
3) Apply your final paint colors.
4) Using a mix of sandpaper and an X-acto knife, begin sanding or scratching away the paint and primer layers to expose the metalizer beneath.

Would this actually work? The idea being that it would offer depth and realism to the weathering by replicating the process in which the paint flakes away, so that in some areas it may be the primer just beginning to be exposed, with more heavily weathered areas exposing the bare metal underneath.

I have done something similar once but there was no primer involved - just the metal coat and camouflage.

120911 Closeup.jpg

My experience revealed that it's hard to wear off the camo colours without damaging the metal coat but, with care, it's certainly possible to do it. I now prefer using the "hairspray method" for large areas and a simple silver pencil for small chips.

Do you think scale could make a difference with this approach? The kits I'm considering doing it on would be 1/32.

In my opinion it's not about scale but more about how well the camo paint sticks to the metal. The more difficult it is to remove the more chance there is to damage the metal. Why not experiment on something like a plastic container?

Oh sure, I was going to test it out on something first. I haven't done much airbrushing in the first place, and only a little work with Metalizer in the past, so fully intended to do so before risking in on the model. But I figured would make an especially nice effect on aircraft like F4Us which seemed to be particularly prone to losing large amounts of paint on the inner wing surfaces.

I was planning on that, too. TBH, I haven't used enamels since I was a kid, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back