Are you a P-51 freak?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

grampi

Senior Airman
Aug 22, 2013
I like all WWII aircraft, but my all time favorite is the Mustang. I love reading about it, watching documentaries about it, building models of it, etc. Who else can't get enough of this marvelous bird?

Why do you say that?

Just a joke really, mustang is one of the most appropriate names given to an aircraft, as a Brit I am accustomed to A/C with names and not numbers. Great aircraft, possibly the best symbol of Anglo American cooperation in those years.

Not me.

I think it was an amazing aircraft and it proved it's worth. I just think it is overated. Not in it's capabilities, but because people forget about all the other aircraft and their contributions to the war. It's P-51 this, P-51 that...

Like I said amazing aircraft, but I would rather hear about the others.

I like it very much.
But as with every ww2 fighter, there are people around claiming things that don't hold true, both partisans and 'haters'.

Always had a soft spot for the Mustang MkIII with Malcolm bubble hood and dorsal tail fillet. They were the first frontline aircraft my Dad worked on.

The Mustang not only had the benefit of a good looking design but the polished alloy and bright non camoflaged colour schemes added glamour, that would be hard to beat even if it wasnt a top performer.

I am not a huge fan of the P-51, although I do recognize it's abilities and huge contribution to the war.

However, if I had to choose a favorite out of all the P-51 variants, I'd choose the A-36.

I like it very much.
But as with every ww2 fighter, there are people around claiming things that don't hold true, both partisans and 'haters'.

I have this on both sides too, but I must say in recent years I've seen a lot of 'going overboard" claims by haters...maybe they're trying to make up for all of the overboard claims by the pro side...

I am not a huge fan of the P-51, although I do recognize it's abilities and huge contribution to the war.

However, if I had to choose a favorite out of all the P-51 variants, I'd choose the A-36.

It would be tough for me to pick a favorite variant...the "D" model to me is the most pleasant to look at...performance wise the "G" was the most impressive, and not a bad looker either (with the 5 bladed prop)...it had a top speed of 495 MPH and climb rate of over 5000 FPM...

Not me.

I think it was an amazing aircraft and it proved it's worth. I just think it is overated. Not in it's capabilities, but because people forget about all the other aircraft and their contributions to the war. It's P-51 this, P-51 that...

Like I said amazing aircraft, but I would rather hear about the others.

Kinda like the Blackhawk? :rolleyes:

I wonder if North American could have introduced the Mustang earlier.

- The prototype NA-73X airframe was rolled out on 9 September 1940 and first flew on 26 October.
It seems like it took the US too long to realize the opportunity.

- Sir Henry Self asked if NAA could manufacture the Tomahawk under license from Curtiss. What if, at an earlier date, the USAAF had asked if NAA could manufacture the Tomahawk under license from Curtiss? Would NAA President "Dutch" Kindelberger have said NAA could have a better aircraft with the same engine in the air sooner than establishing a production line for the P-40?

Even without the V-1650, V-1710 powered Mustangs would have been very useful machines.

I love 'em because we have 3 - 4 operating very locally and I get to see them all the time. My personal favorites are the A6M5 Model 52 and the F8F-2 Bearcat in no particular order. The Zero is wonderful and I'm getting to see all the interior parts these days since ours is apart and being restored. Setve Hinton is slowly working on his Bearcat, so I'll get to see that, too. They are all the more interesting because they are right there, able to be touched and looked at carefully.

But I'm a fan of any late-piston fighter. Fortunately we have most of the types come through at one time or another, so I get to see most of them actually running and up close when they stop over. I can say that while I love the big radials, I'd not want to spend a great deal of time working on one. Just the thought of removing everything to change 36 spark plugs in an R-2800 is enough to make we want a 6-cylinder Lycoming-powered airplane.

The Mustang's ok I s'pose :)

The Spitfire is by far the more graceful, Shark-like looking bit of kit, The Typhoon is so damn pugnacious and 'bloody-minded' looking that I'd deffo hate to meet one on a good day let alone a bad day !

In short, for me, it don't matter if the clockwork is in-line or radial, if it looks the part, I'm in.

Having said that, I do have a slight affection for the 'Caddy :)

Attachments

• DSCF0578.jpg
    DSCF0578.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF5948.jpg
    DSCF5948.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF5950.jpg
    DSCF5950.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back