Armchair General

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Destroyer25

Banned
Dec 19, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure some of you here are frequent readers of Armchair General Magazine, So I have done what they have done. Wargaming. My family and friends are crazy Wargamers, and so I thought I'd post some scenarios on the forums I go on. Please be advised these scenarios are not real events, because if they were you'd just... google google google!

Here is the first scenario.

You are SS-Brigadeführer (Major General), (Your name). Commander of the 1st SS Panzer Division, one of the most formidable units in the Reich. Your Division has 20 000 men, and 170 Tanks, considerably more than a Wehrmacht Panzer Division. You also have 45 Sturmgeschütz, or Stug, Assault Guns, and finally, you have just received 3 Tiger Platoons(12 Tigers). This brings your total number of Tanks/Assault guns to 227, you also have hundreds of Hanomags, trucks, and many AT guns, artillery pieces and SPGs.

Here is the Organization of your Division. (Copy paste, I'm lazy)

Divisional Headquarters Staff (You)
1st SS Panzer Regiment (Joachim Peiper)
I/1st Panzer Battalion (67 Panther tank)
II/1st Panzer Battalion (103 Panzer IV)
1st SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment (Albert Frey)
I/1st SS Panzer Grenadier Battalion
II/1st SS Panzer Grenadier Battalion
III/1st SS Panzer Grenadier Battalion
2nd SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment (Rudolf Sandig)
I/2nd SS Panzer Grenadier Battalion
II/2nd SS Panzer Grenadier Battalion
III/2nd SS Panzer Grenadier Battalion
1st SS Panzer Reconnaissance Battalion (Gustav Knittel)
1st SS Assault gun (45 Sturmgeschütz) Battalion (Heinrich Heimann)
1st SS Artillery Regiment (Franz Steineck)
1st SS Artillery Battalion (2x 105mm Wespe Bty,1x 150mm Hummel Bty)
2nd SS Artillery Battalion (2x 105mm Bty [towed])
3rd SS Artillery Battalion (2x 150mm Bty [towed] ,1x 100mm Kanon Bty [towed])
1st SS Werfer Regiment (Klaus Besch) (3x 150mm Bty [towed])
1st SS Anti Aircraft Battalion (Hugo Ullerich) (3x 88mm Bty ,2x 37mm Bty)

You also have 6 other support battalions, which are primarily non combat and remain with the HQ. The Engineer Battalion however can be called upon, so if you need to do a bit construction or deconstruction you've got them.

Here is the organization of the US 3rd Armored Division. It has nearly 20 000 men and 200 tanks, in addition to that it has many M10 Wolverine TDs Tank Destroyers), it also boasts a wide variety of multipurpose guns, ranging from 37mm-105mm. However, non of these guns are nearly as effective in the AT role as your guns. The American 37mm gun is useless against your tanks, and the 105 is inaccurate, only at close ranges does it pose a threat, your biggest worry will be their 57mm guns, 75mm guns and the guns on the M10 Wolverines.

Combat Units:

32nd Armored Regiment
33rd Armored Regiment
36th Armored Infantry Regiment
54th Field Artillery Battalion
67th Field Artillery Battalion
391st Field Artillery Battalion
143rd Signal Company
23rd Armored Engineer Battalion
83rd Armored Reconnaissance Battalion
643rd Tank Destroyer Battalion
703rd Tank Destroyer Battalion
803rd Tank Destroyer Battalion

Headquarters Units:

Headquarters Company, 3rd Armored Division
Service Company, 3rd Armored Division
Division Trains
Supply Battalion
45th Armored Medical Battalion
503rd Intelligence Corps

In total your forces are roughly equal in size, and while the enemy has more Tanks/TDs than you, your tanks are much better. However intelligence reports that elements of a nearby enemy infantry division are in the area, so you might be facing up to 30 000 men.

Here is your objective, "I Field Marshall Erwin Rommel have been ordered to eliminate the US 3rd Armored Division. I hereby declare the 1st SS Panzer Division, Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, will be the leading Division in this task. Your mission is to destroy this Unit by the most effective means and then take up positions to hold against counter attacks. The 12th SS Panzer, Hitlerjugend, will then come to your aid after you have eliminated the 3rd Armored."

Rommel has given you freedom of choice to choose your battle plan, something he rarely does. Be advised, failure will not be tolerated, and if things don't get moving you might get paid a vist by Herr Field Marshall.

I suggest everyone do a bit of reading on Sun Tzu, his teaching will be helpful in this battle. Also keep in mind the terrain, the US forces are in prepared positions. And the large hill that the majority of the 3rd Armored is dug in on will be a tough nut to crack.

As for the map I think its pretty obvious. The green lines are the main lines of resistance. Click the image once it pops up, it will become more clear.

th_LAHvs3rdArmored-1.jpg

Its 8:00PM, you've been ordered to attack tomorrow morning at 6:00AM.

So, Whats next General?

Last edited:
Map doesn't work Herr Field Marshall, we're screwed :lol:

Interesting scenario though, will be fun what the map looks like. I feel the odds are in the German general's favor on this one though, esp. since Allied airsuperiority isn't factored in.

Last edited:
What the F***!? No clue as to why the link ain't working. I'll definitely have a talk with my Intellegence Officer. 8)

Edit: Ok, the Intellegence Officer has fixed the map. Now you, the General, must come up with a solution. And if you really need help, me, the Operations Officer, will give you hints.

Have fun fighting those damn yanks! And don't forget that the balance of hardware isn't everything. There were occasions when those crappy Shermans managed to defeat Panzers, very few occasions though. xD

Last edited:
Enough to ensure the Nazis lost though eh? Or are are you thinking of rewriting WW2 as well? :lol:

Allied airpower won the war, allied armor did little. Any Panzers that were destroyed by allied armor were probably destroyed by Fireflys. It was the P-51s and Typhoons that did all the work.

We might want to move this to the games section.

Yeah I suppose we could, its not really a typical game though, compared to the other stuff there, this one is very hard.

Ok I'll have a look at the possibilities and give it a try.

PS: Remember when making a battle map always include a Legend list.

Sorry, I just asumed everyone was firmiliar with the standard WW2 mapping symbols. I suppose not everyone has a mountain of WW2 books. :lol:

I suggest you all take a look at this, information that I made on WW2 mapping. Once the image appears click it to enlargen.
th_Unitclassification.jpg

th_Unitclassification2.jpg

Allied airpower won the war, allied armor did little. Any Panzers that were destroyed by allied armor were probably destroyed by Fireflys. It was the P-51s and Typhoons that did all the work.

Actually Herr Rommel I think you'll find the Soviets played more of a part in crushing the Werhmacht in that particular area.

I'll put my money on US 3rd Armoured Division. Your forces are about to run out of fuel due to the bombing of oil production facilities by the USAAF.

Sorry, I just asumed everyone was firmiliar with the standard WW2 mapping symbols. I suppose not everyone has a mountain of WW2 books. :lol:

You might want to learn about some of the people here.

1. Most everyone is a serious about studying the history of WW2.
2. Many of us have a small library of books.
3. Most of us are not gamers here, we talk about the real thing.
4. A good many of us have actual military experience.

So...

...There is no need to try and belittle anyone here. Take a look around and learn who is who on the forum.

Actually Herr Rommel I think you'll find the Soviets played more of a part in crushing the Werhmacht in that particular area.

I'll put my money on US 3rd Armoured Division. Your forces are about to run out of fuel due to the bombing of oil production facilities by the USAAF.

I'm talking strictly about the western front. Yes obviously the Soviets did more damage but on the western front most of Germany's tank loses were do to tactical aircraft. And in this perticular scenario you have sufficient everything, theres no shortages of ammo or fuel. This is post D-Day, June or July. Before the "Gap". Now its your mission to defeat the enemy, its you vs them, no planes. Lets just say its cloudy. xD

You might want to learn about some of the people here.

1. Most everyone is a serious about studying the history of WW2.
2. Many of us have a small library of books.
3. Most of us are not gamers here, we talk about the real thing.
4. A good many of us have actual military experience.

So...

...There is no need to try and belittle anyone here. Take a look around and learn who is who on the forum.

Dude I just joined, clearly I know nothing about the place, but Maxim asked for a legend, so clearly he doesn't what all the symbols mean. And these are WW2 symbols, not the current NATO ones, things have changed so even if you are in the army you might not be able to read this map.

Then I suggest your chill out...

Like everyone here has told you, you are welcome here, but you better quit with the BS. NOBODY likes that **** here.

Are you just going to yell at me or are you going to participate in the game? Because thats why I made it.

Edit: Oh thats cute, you know changing my signature only proves how inmature you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back