Army soldier receives posthumous Medal of Honor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am sorry it is absolutely true. Several people recieved Bronze Stars and did absolutely nothing to deserve it. We had 2 (I belive maybe 3) Battle Captains that recieved them and they enver even saw a shot fired. The closest they came to getting hit was when a mortor landed about 300 yards from there bunker. We had 2 Seargent First Classes who never left the hanger recieve them for personnally leading 6 downed aircraft recovery (I flew on 4 of them and did not see them once). 2 of the people who recieved them were in my company and were Blackhawk Crewchiefs who did recieve them for a Casualty Evac under enemy fire. Theose 2 are the only that I can see who deserved them. It really makes me sick when there are soldiers out there who do great things day in and day out under enemy fire and all they get is a pat on the back because they are only E-4 or below. The big ones are given out by rank for service now not by deeds done on the field.

That really is screwed up, I've gotta say. It's a kick in the face to the guys (and girls) who actually deserved the decoration!

Nothing changes Adler its always been like that look at Prince Charles he's got medals coming out of his ears the big prat and what has done. bloody zip that's what.
In 44 my old mans Rhodesian lieutenant got a gong for his part on D-Day and all he did was crouch in the bottom of me old mans LCA and shit himself even now my old man says if he saw him in the street he would punch his lights out (as he's 85 I think it's more of a wish than a fact)
But like yourself he had to turn out on parade and watch him get his bit of tin. I think that's why he don't rate medals a lot because they don't always mean what there meant to mean if you get my drift.
And to me I would rather see that young lad go home to his family than get a gong.

trackend said:
I think that's why he don't rate medals a lot because they don't always mean what there meant to mean if you get my drift.
And to me I would rather see that young lad go home to his family than get a gong.

My brother is a two-tour Viet Nam Vet, served in 68-69. He received a Silver Star during that period that he doesn't talk much about. The only thing he says is "Several guys got one, I just happened to be there. The only thing its good for is to show some piss-ant I saw combat and survived. The real heros were the guys who were with me that didn't come home."

Good luck Les at least you can have a good moan about the situation
although personal if your politicians are anything like ours they give a nice
smile, nod and say "oh dear thats terrible", send out pleasant consolatory letters then do shit.

Bleeding great pile of knob headed no nothings. Take away a travel privilege or a fact find swaray and they scream blue murder, but ask them too look into a matter that could make waves with the higher ups and squat diddly.

Letters like that sometimes, and I reiterate sometimes, have an effect here in Hoserville. I think it's due to our small military combined with a small population, but things like that tend to get noticed by the public here. If enough noise is made about it, sometimes it works.

Good luck with it les.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back