Skywalker Jin
Airman 1st Class
- 206
- Oct 23, 2025
Hello there, this is Skywalker.
I'm now doing some research on a project named after "Yorktown" and it's about the naval aviation development during WWII Pacific Theatre
To cut a long story short I made this chart below:
This is about the squadrons, I had just collected enough info about VF-10,and lack info about VF-2 and VF-42
This is about men who contributed. My key point would be on Thach,O Hare,Leonard and Swede
Info about those mentioned above are welcomed,especially veteran's words,no limit on format but ebooks would be preferred
Thank you.
Skywalker
About the namesake:
USS Yorktown,with the most experienced squad VF-42,contributed in battle of Midway and battle of Coral Sea, she was the symbol of USN aviation in the early time.
The XO of VF-42, Jimmy Flatley, who formed the VF-10,fought in the battle of Santa Cruz and helped drained the last drop blood of the Japs.
Flatley also participated in the fast carrier action on new Yorktown CV-10.
Other XO of VF-42,Bill Leonard, fought with the Cactus Force and tested the captured Zero
I'm now doing some research on a project named after "Yorktown" and it's about the naval aviation development during WWII Pacific Theatre
To cut a long story short I made this chart below:
This is about the squadrons, I had just collected enough info about VF-10,and lack info about VF-2 and VF-42
This is about men who contributed. My key point would be on Thach,O Hare,Leonard and Swede
Info about those mentioned above are welcomed,especially veteran's words,no limit on format but ebooks would be preferred
Thank you.
Skywalker
About the namesake:
USS Yorktown,with the most experienced squad VF-42,contributed in battle of Midway and battle of Coral Sea, she was the symbol of USN aviation in the early time.
The XO of VF-42, Jimmy Flatley, who formed the VF-10,fought in the battle of Santa Cruz and helped drained the last drop blood of the Japs.
Flatley also participated in the fast carrier action on new Yorktown CV-10.
Other XO of VF-42,Bill Leonard, fought with the Cactus Force and tested the captured Zero