Atlantis B25 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DBII

Senior Master Sergeant
Oct 16, 2007
Conroe, Texas
I finally picked it up and 40% of at Hobby Lobby. I will begin it if I ever finish the B36. I am looking for something different. Maybe ASW in the Gulf of Mexico, OD over White or the 8th AF's black photo recon B25.

You are correct. The price was right and I wanted an early model B25. I also have a little collection of B25 in the stash. Montogram B25H and B25J in 1/48, A B25 J/H in 1/72. Just need to get the B, C/D, and G models. I would love to find a conversion set for an early B25 or B25A.

This is my B-25, the same one that you are doing, very good model...forward!!!!!

Attachments

• 20200302_132654b.jpg
    20200302_132654b.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC02060b.jpg
    DSC02060b.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200302_125757b.jpg
    20200302_125757b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
This is my B-25, the same one that you are doing, very good model...forward!!!!!
Luca, yours is the Aurora 1/32 B-25J. I know your amazing model :hello1:from a different forum (about large scale planes;)).
The Atlantis (old Revell), a B-25C in the pretty awkward 1:64 "box scale" is a different bird.

DBII, you might do this one from the 3-rd Antisubmarine squadron:
3asb25.jpg

It's a very rare B-25B in OD and white, and the white tone is obviously dominating.
Cheers!

Luca, yours is the Aurora 1/32 B-25J. I know your amazing model :hello1:from a different forum (about large scale planes;)).
The Atlantis (old Revell), a B-25C in the pretty awkward 1:64 "box scale" is a different bird.

DBII, you might do this one from the 3-rd Antisubmarine squadron:
View attachment 695481
It's a very rare B-25B in OD and white, and the white tone is obviously dominating.
Cheers!
That is the one I was leaning toward. There are decals for the bird but in 1/48 scale. The kit dose not have the correct roundals for this bird but I may do it anyway. The kit has the insignia use in the Dolittle raid and with the white bars.

That is the one I was leaning toward. There are decals for the bird but in 1/48 scale. The kit dose not have the correct roundals for this bird but I may do it anyway. The kit has the insignia use in the Dolittle raid and with the white bars.
You can use the roundels for the Doolittle raider and paint the red disks white - this will be the simplest change. The serial in the kit is 02344 - it's not so easy to change it to 02312, but it's not impossible. Of course the bat emblem is absent. Here it is in colours:
bsindZE.png

It could become a nice model, slightly bigger than those in 1/72. You might even find a matching diecast vehicle in the same scale (1:64 is a very common car scale).
Cheers!

The bat will look good on the white. Never tried to make a decal before. I may try making a mask and painting it. I believe the Atlantis A26 is in the same scale. It is on my wish list. Their B29 has decals for Fifi of the CAF. I would like to make that with the Korean war camo she had at one time. Pictures file away. The plan is to make a bird with all of the Atlantic camouflage styles include the plane with little clouds painted on the sides.

You can use the roundels for the Doolittle raider and paint the red disks white - this will be the simplest change. The serial in the kit is 02344 - it's not so easy to change it to 02312, but it's not impossible. Of course the bat emblem is absent. Here it is in colours:
View attachment 695518
It could become a nice model, slightly bigger than those in 1/72. You might even find a matching diecast vehicle in the same scale (1:64 is a very common car scale).
Cheers!
I found decals for 1/72 by Starfighter. I may go ahead of get it.

View attachment 695518
Cheers!
This insignia was also used by the 819th BS, 30th BG

This insignia was also used by the 819th BS, 30th BG
AFAIK the 3rd ASS was redesignated as 819th BS so they retained the insignia.
This History of the 3rd Antisubmarine Squadron began as the 39th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 15 Jan 1941 at Langley Field, Virginia. Following its assignments as the 3rd Antisubmarine Squadron, it was redesignated 819th Bombarment Squadron (Heavy) on 22 September 1943....

Correct. My kid's GGF was in the 819th
BTW in this case it was not only a redesignation but also a change of duties as well. The 819th was a pure bombardment unit and not an anti-submarine squadron anymore.
819bssign.jpg
819BSbatoutofhellcrew.jpg

The last sentences in the scrapbook of the 3-rd ASS are:

In the early part of August, rumors were rife that the Navy would soon take over all antisubmarine work. It looked as if the 3rd might soon find itself engaged in the work the 39th had originally been designed for – bombardment. Olive drab B-24's began to arrive, and intensive bombardment training was initiated.
The 3rd Antisubmarine Squadron (H) ceased its patrol operations as of 1 September 1943. With that feeling of satisfaction that comes with a job well done, and a glint of eagerness in their eyes, the boys of the "Bat Out of Hell" Squadron look forward to their new missions.

I'm attaching a de-classified study "The Antisubmarine Command" for all interested.

Attachments

• The Antisubmarine Command.pdf
    13 MB · Views: 28
BTW in this case it was not only a redesignation but also a change of duties as well. The 819th was a pure bombardment unit and not an anti-submarine squadron anymore.
View attachment 695605View attachment 695606
The last sentences in the scrapbook of the 3-rd ASS are:

In the early part of August, rumors were rife that the Navy would soon take over all antisubmarine work. It looked as if the 3rd might soon find itself engaged in the work the 39th had originally been designed for – bombardment. Olive drab B-24's began to arrive, and intensive bombardment training was initiated.
The 3rd Antisubmarine Squadron (H) ceased its patrol operations as of 1 September 1943. With that feeling of satisfaction that comes with a job well done, and a glint of eagerness in their eyes, the boys of the "Bat Out of Hell" Squadron look forward to their new missions.

I'm attaching a de-classified study "The Antisubmarine Command" for all interested.
Yes - well aware. This was his aircraft.

1669134987571.png

1669135180487.png

1669135287747.png

"Ed" is in the right seat

I have found nothing on the 3 or 5 anti sub sqdrn. Must have been uneventful work. I did find a photo last year of a B25 that matches the decals I like but lost the photo link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back