August 29, 1945 Soviets shoot down B-29

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
I was reading a website today and it said

August 29, 1945 - The Soviets shoot down a B-29 dropping supplies to POWs in Korea; U.S. Troops land near Tokyo to begin the occupation of Japan.

If infact the plane was shot down what happened between the US and the Soviet Union?

Probably official apologies were issued or something...
I too never heard of this particular incident, but it's not an unprecedented event in any case. For example, aerial engagement between Soviet Yaks and American P-38s occurred above southern Serbia in 1944 with casualties on both sides. Americans were on a mission to attack German units retreating from Greece, but attacked advancing Soviets by mistake.

The incident sounds completely in character with the theater of operations. The Soviets were at the end of August Storm - a three pronged assault that started on August 9th (as specified at Yalta). David Glantz's book (of the same name) is a must read.
The Soviets intended to get as far and go as fast as they possibly could to grab territory - and their effectiveness took the Americans by surprise in Korea. So onrushing Soviet tanks and troops + para landings and amphibious landings would make for a very 'dynamic' :) front - into which a relief B-29 could get shot down. Klantz doesn't mention the incident. Eager to learn more.

MM

A B-29 of supply mission in Korea was shot and crash-landed but the Soviet Union denied their commitment.
No more information at the moment.

From another forum site, with a link to a Russian website, which appears okay

Russian pilot reported to have been named Zizevskii flying a Yak 9 of 14 IAP damaged and forced the B29 to land.
a link I have on down paper is -

Ãîðÿ÷åå íåáî

"Hog Wild" B29-15-BA serial number 42-63436 882nd BS, 500th BG 73rd BW.
Crew were later returned, aircraft was not.
A second B29 also was forced down this date.
"Buckin' Bronc" B29-80-BW serial number 44-70136 same Squadron as above a/c.

No, no. The two B-29s captured for Tu-4 were much earlier.
I have data but can't remember where it is.
They emergency landed in Soviet Union after bombing Kyusyu, Japan.

I was reading a website today and it said

August 29, 1945 - The Soviets shoot down a B-29 dropping supplies to POWs in Korea...If infact the plane was shot down what happened between the US and the Soviet Union?

The name of the B-29 was the Hog Wild
The Flight of the Hog Wild - by Bill Streifer and Irek Sabitov

While the crew was interned for sixteen days at a former Japanese POW camp in Hungnam, northern Korea, Soviet and American commanders traded angry cables. Eventually, the B-29 crew was rescued by a C-46 rapair plane, and 354 Allied POWs were transported to the American zone of Korea by rail about a week later.

- Bill Streifer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back