Aussie and Kiwi P-40's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
ok guys have been Talking with Peter (Ozhawk) about an Aussie P-40 for the next group build.
he is kindly supplying me with decals for an Aussie bird "Hep Cat"
and a Kiwi bird "Wairohopa Wildcat" see pics below so i would like as much help with references as possible with both these birds please :D
thanks in advance
Karl

Attachments

• V4868P-40Stars_Page_1.jpg
    V4868P-40Stars_Page_1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 377
  • P40 NZ  Wairohopa Wildcat.jpg
    P40 NZ Wairohopa Wildcat.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 237
  • OG2324%20%281%29.jpeg
    OG2324%20%281%29.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 205
Here one of Fisken and story from Wiki.

F/O Geoff Fiskin in front of Wairarapa Wildcat NZ3072/19. The eleven flags painted on the nose of NZ3072/19 represent the six Japanese aircraft he claimed in Malaya, the two A6M 'Zekes' shot down on 12 June 1943, and the three aircraft he claimed on 4 July, when he was flying another P-40 (NZ3060/9).8)

Theres an article also here:

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/article.asp?id=fisken

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Fiskencat.jpg
    Fiskencat.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Karl, Do you know which one you're doing? I have a P-40 in my stash with decals for Wairohopa Wildcat I was thinking of doing, but if you're doing that one I have some other choices.

i'm definatly doing Hep Cat and was going to do Wairohopa Wildcat as well, but you do it Glenn and i'll do it just for my collection at a later date :D

A couple of minor things about NZ3072, the White ID bands wernt outlined, the effect is due to the alcohol used to remove the masking tape residue.
The white outline on the cat (which is on both sides) is chalked for the photo in reality it was black.
Also the aircraft had a replacement left aileron which didnt have the white ID repainted over it.

G'day Karl great choice on Hep Cat - looking forward to seeing this one! Here are two shots from the book "Seek and strike" by David Wilson - all photo credits to him and Alan Thompson.
Some things I've noted that differ to your profile
- note the colour of at the front of the radiator chin, it appears to be that of the light blue on the spinner. Also note the small "G" underneath.
- note the top section of the tail is painted and has a white outline. Dunno the colour but this feature was seen on RAAF Kittyhawks to denote the flight the aircraft belonged too, eg a blue top for blue flight etc.

I'll keep an eye out for any other material that may help.
PS. sorry for the quality of the pictures, they were taken with my camera as my scanner has out witted me - again!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 166
I'm sure I've got an article somewhere on the Wairarapa Hawk
Is that the same bird, or a similar one from somewhere equally unpronounceable?

thanks guys, keep it all coming

Andy thanks for those pics mate, Peter has also mentioned the blue trim on the radiator lip and also on the tail as well !
as i said to Peter i will do my best on this bird for all you Aussies in here !

Your welcome Karl! The ADF serials website states the tail trim was black with a white outline. It doesn't look that dark to me, maybe it's heavily faded??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back