Australian Ace Colin Parkinson headset

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mhan

Recruit
Nov 20, 2012
Hi all, hoping the following is of interest to you. I am a retired History teacher with an interest in WW2 and militaria. I have just purchased a lot at a Sydney auction house, described as "quantity of Spitfire/airforce ephemera", it consists of a 2 ear piece wireless head set with detached wires, I imagine this to be the WW2 spitfire bit??, an incomplete set of Rude Star identifier round charts from 1942 USA Navy publication, and a number of items dating from the decade 1960-1970 that would relate to a pilot ( commercial) ie Flight radio operator's manual 1969, the observers basic book of aircraft civil 1970, Sight reduction tables for air navigation vol 3 1967, neatly written on the Flight radio operators manual is C H Parkinson. I asked the auctioneer why he described this as a spitfire lot, he said it had been purchased some time back by a friend of his for her son and the son did not want it, so he was reselling it, cost me $120. I think what I have is Aust'n WW2 pilot F/O Colin Henry DFC, his spitfire headset and star navigation charts. If this is so he must have flown as a commercial pilot after the war, I am trying to track this down without success so far. Can anyone identify the type of headset in the image as that which may have belonged to a spitfire pilot??
many thanks,
Mark in Newcastle

2.jpg
IMG_0381.JPG

It might have done, but it looks more like a crew headset, possibly civilian.( i once had a very similar set, when i was a kid in the 1950s.)
The headsets for Spitfire pilots (and other fighter types) were incorporated within the flying helmet which, in RAF and Commonwealth service, were issued in various Mark types throughout the war, in leather and other fabrics, depending upon theatre of use. None of these headsets had the supporting head band and, in the main, the wiring was integral.
Also, I believe Warren were an American company (think I see a US stamp there as well), which probably meant that the set operated on a different impedance, compared to that for use with the British T/R equipment normally fitted to the Spitfire.

Last edited:
I agree with the enclosed flight helmet, I thought he may have been wearing this style due to hot weather in Malta, plus possibly supplied with American equipment due to supply shortages, it is an American set, still there is the link with all the material coming from a C H Parkinson written on the 1969 Flight Radio operators manual, very similar writing to that appearing on the national archive documents for Colin Parkinson Fighter ace. So if it is American equipment, does that confirm it is a no no to any spit pilot.
regards
Mark
5.jpg

If these did indeed belong to Parkinson, wow! As you probably know he was a Malta ace with 9-10 kills. These headphones are probably more associated with his time as an instructor in Australia or with his service with the chemical triasl unit later on in the war.

If I can only find a reference to Colin Henry Parkinson being a commercial pilot post war, and being born in 1916 he would have been in his 40-50's in the period 1960-70 when these flight related publications were published belonging to C H Parkinson. He died in March 2006 so have been trying to turn up an obituary that would tell the story of his life postwar. But with the Rude star navigator dating to 1942 and the old head set belonging to a C H Parkinson, and there being only one such person in the RAAF in WW2, surly it must all relate to the man.

a60.jpg
b602.jpg

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
It very likely did belong to him, but it is definitely not equipment used in a Spitfire, or any other fighter type. A lightweight canvas helmet, with neck flap, was normally used on Malta, although some pilots still preferred the leather helmet. The helmet was essential for protection against fire, and also for mounting the oxygen mask, which would be used at altitudes above 10,000 feet.
The star computer points at navigational equipment, and headsets of the type shown would be used by navigators and radio ops, and most likely pilots, of such aircraft as the DC3/Dakota post war.
The headset is a valuable piece in it's own right, to a collector, and with the provenance of the man (if it was his), even more so - but it is not related to a Spitfire I'm afraid.

Many thanks for your information, help, Airframes, just have to find whether he had a flying career post war, not so easy so far, Mark

You're welcome. Incidentally, I used to get the new copy of 'The Observer's Book of Aircraft', both civil and military volumes, as Christmas presents every year - still got a couple, but lost all those from the 1950s.

Are you sure he died in 2006. There is an Australian based, British pilot. Colin Henry, changed his name from Colin Henry Parkinson. Flew Recon and commercially for British Airways after the war.

Colin Henry Parkinson is my late grandfather - After the War he was a RAFF test pilot and flew private planes.
My Dad mentioned something about the US contacting him to sign different things. The writing on the book looks very familiar and I am certain it is his handwriting.
Ill have to talk to my Dad for more info.

Amy

Great to have made contact with you Amy,
regards
Mark

If I can only find a reference to Colin Henry Parkinson being a commercial pilot post war, and being born in 1916 he would have been in his 40-50's in the period 1960-70 when these flight related publications were published belonging to C H Parkinson. He died in March 2006 so have been trying to turn up an obituary that would tell the story of his life postwar. But with the Rude star navigator dating to 1942 and the old head set belonging to a C H Parkinson, and there being only one such person in the RAAF in WW2, surly it must all relate to the man.

View attachment 216649View attachment 216650

Colin Parkinson flew spitfires on Malta in 1942. He was an ace. I knew him when he owned a property next door to our family at Leadville in the central west of NSW from 1971 to 1976. He was a printer running his families company WH Bone. He printed and published his log book which I would like to find. Jeff

Hi Rooky. I wouldn't be the only one here who would like to hear any stories he may have shared. Welcome to the Forum.
As I said he was our neighbour for 5 years in the early '70s. I was only about 15 when they bought that place, my father had a lot more to do with him than me. My father was a returned service man from the islands so they had a bit in common. Parky, as we knew him was a character, he had an old Jag he used to drive like the wind, you could hear the rocks off the gravel road bouncing off the mudguards from a long way away. My father read his diary but unfortunately I didn't and I would like to see it now. He mentioned in it a particularly memorable moment for him when flying off Malta which "quite gave him the twitch". I have often wondered what that was. He had 8.3 victories as I have found by internet research, he also counted 1 Eboat in his bag, damaged or otherwise I don't know. He came back in about 2004 for a last look at the place and I was working along the road one day when he stopped and asked me if I knew who he was. I definitely did. Jeff

As I said he was our neighbour for 5 years in the early '70s. I was only about 15 when they bought that place, my father had a lot more to do with him than me. My father was a returned service man from the islands so they had a bit in common. Parky, as we knew him was a character, he had an old Jag he used to drive like the wind, you could hear the rocks off the gravel road bouncing off the mudguards from a long way away. My father read his diary but unfortunately I didn't and I would like to see it now. He mentioned in it a particularly memorable moment for him when flying off Malta which "quite gave him the twitch". I have often wondered what that was. He had 8.3 victories as I have found by internet research, he also counted 1 Eboat in his bag, damaged or otherwise I don't know. He came back in about 2004 for a last look at the place and I was working along the road one day when he stopped and asked me if I knew who he was. I definitely did. Jeff
Wow - Colin Parkinson was my grandfather - I new he had a printer business and published some children's books by Walter Bone - a fascinating character himself. I also heard of stories about his Jag - thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back