Australian-Made Torpedo Sinks Retired U.S. Warship (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
From Fox News.....

Friday, July 25, 2008

An Australian submarine has used a new super torpedo to sink an American warship off Hawaii.

The Courier-Mail reports HMAS Waller fired the heavyweight Mark 48 torpedo, which the U.S. and Australian navies say is the world's deadliest, during war games this week.

Defense Minister Joel Fitzgibbon said the torpedo had been jointly developed by Australia and the United States and was used in the planned sinking of a retired U.S. warship.

"This represents the first new heavyweight torpedo warshot to be fired by either Navy. Just as significant is the fact that the torpedo was assembled in Australia," Fitzgibbon said.

TO

Torpedo broke her back. Maybe the Aussies figured out how to make them detonate under the keel on a reliable basis. People have been trying to do that for almost a century.

Looked like the ship was a destroyer. Older one. Maybe a Spruance class from the early 80s.

Yep, went down fast! They probably had all above-water hatches and portholes open, and all the interior doors latched open. I doubt it would've gone down that fast with a full compliment of sailors violently opposed to sinking, but after a hit that hard, it was a foregone conclusion. Even if you don't take into account the gaping hole amidships, her keel was broken. Badly.

:occasion5:

Unpublished photo of the Australian Torpedo..
Authorities were impressed by the effect of the explosion but are still working on a solution for the excess foam created by the torpedo.

Attachments

• aussie torp.jpg
    aussie torp.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 197
I have reason to believe the ship was the USS John Paul Jones [DDG-53].

There are several video clips on YouTube, and one clearly shows the side
number "53". The ship has a cruiser bow, which is seen as she goes down.
I served on DDG-17, The USS Conyngham.

Charles

She was a good ship, whoever she was. :salute: (maybe its just me and my research abilitites, but the DDG-53 appears to still be in service?)

You may be right RA. She was commissioned 18 December 1993. Less than 15 years old. And I saw somewhere that she was on maneuvers as late as May 2008.

TO

I did some checking too. The USS Winslow [DD-53], a destroyer was
scrapped in 1937, having served in WW-I. USS Iowa is BB-53. She
was the first Iowa, and was scrapped in 1923. USS Charles Lawrence
was DE-53 and was given to Australia. She became HMAS Torrens.

This is probably the vessel that was sunk in the test.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back