Australian Spitfire has been found in Normandy (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm sorry but those two are mutually exclusive.

Firstly, why apologise for your opinion?

Secondly, I think you need to take another look at the definition of "mutually exclusive"

In any case, on your logic, every family who has relative buried overseas should be able to ask for them to be dug up and shifted "home"?

What people forget is that the majority of Australians at the time considered Britain the "Mother Country". That is precisely WHY those sorts of conventions were adopted in the first place. "There is some corner of a foreign field" and so on. No one has the right to decide for those people based on some "modern" idea of "proper" 70 years later.

Society relies on convention for its very existence. As much as this generation would like to believe that they have broken down silly outmoded conventions all they have achieved, if anything, is to have put in place a different load of silly and soon to be outmoded conventions. It has been thus since time began. And is what makes it important to respect and take the time to LEARN what conventions have been.

And BEFORE you accuse me of being an Anglophile, I am of Irish Catholic lineage and have no natural predisposition towards the British. I am an Australian, fiercely proud of it, of OUR CONVENTIONS and of OUR history.

respectfully submitted,

Last edited:
The body should be laid to rest where the family decides.
The war ended a long time ago and wartime conventions, while important and certainly still respectful of the deceased- need not be slavishly adhered to.

There's no reason both entities can't be satisfied. The family should preside over the man's remains and a memorial constructed near the crash site. It would be proper to inscribe the memorial with who is was and where he is now. That would bring honor and closure all around.

What I was saying, is that if possible, the Spitfire should be on display at the National War Memorial in Canberra with a suitable plaque. As a tribute to the pilot and all the Aussies that had flown as fighter pilots in WW2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back