Average Mission C-47 Pilot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kitplane01

Airman 1st Class
Apr 23, 2020
I'm curious what the average mission for a C-47 crew might be. I imagine it's *not* dropping paratroopers over Normandy.

I understand the C-47 had many many missions, being a workhorse. But was the average C-47 flying NY to Cinncinati, or London to Edinburg, or Cairo to Suez? I'm sure the answer is all-of-these but that's not helpful. What was the most common missions and theatres for the C-47? What was their day-to-day?

I'm curious what the average mission for a C-47 crew might be. I imagine it's *not* dropping paratroopers over Normandy.

I understand the C-47 had many many missions, being a workhorse. But was the average C-47 flying NY to Cinncinati, or London to Edinburg, or Cairo to Suez? I'm sure the answer is all-of-these but that's not helpful. What was the most common missions and theatres for the C-47? What was their day-to-day?
The people who could answer accurately are mostly dead. I knew a fellow who had been in the Kentucky National Guard pre-war so he wound up as a C-47 crew chief in New Guinea pretty early in the war. He said that they were flying so much that the pilots never got a rest so they started using crew chiefs in the co-pilot seat. That allowed them to give the pilots a day off once a week. New Guinea is a big island so air supply was vital.

Laing telephone wire picking up other airplanes with engine trouble

Hi
Some information to give an idea on tasks and hours flown by C-47 equipped 3rd Combat Cargo Group in CBI, from USAF microfilm records of WW2 docs below for December 1944:
Image_20230328_0005.jpg

Image_20230328_0002.jpg

Image_20230328_0004.jpg

Tactical Freight delivered by 3rd CCG from June 1944-March 1945:
Image_20230328_0006.jpg

Mike

Amazing - 1000 hrs in 6 months means flying 5.5 hours every day!
Hi
My father reckoned he had about 500 or so hours flying time during about 6 months as an air despatcher, "Kicker", over 1944-1945. He did have two or so weeks off flying (due to minor injuries) after the C-47 he was in crashed on take-off when engaged in a Christmas food run in December 1944.

Mike

Amazing - 1000 hrs in 6 months means flying 5.5 hours every day!
I met an L-100 crew from Bolivian Air Transport who said that they liked flying in Angola because they flew 200 hours per month and pilots got paid $50/hr. I mentioned that to someone a few years later and he said "You know those guys are dead? They had a mid-air collision with a SAM." A Canadian crew said that they only flew their L-100 on Red Cross contracts in Angola and stayed in a Red Cross compound so your life was nothing but flying, working on the airplane and eating/sleeping in the compound. They hoped that the Red Cross painted on their airplane would protect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back