Avro Anson documents (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MiTasol

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2012
Aw flaming stralia
I am starting to scan my two copies of AP 1525 Vol 1 Anson Aircraft Mk I, IV, X and XI and other Anson manuals using the best pages out of one to improve the quality of the later, more revised copy. Both are Australian prints and have variations compared to the Brit printed manuals as shown below. I need to work on the cover colour as well
1610767234108.png
1610767374930.png

First section is the very last in the manual Sec 11 Armament and Equipment as one member was specifically after that section.

It will take a while to do - the oldest copy is clean and can easily be scanned but it is a preliminary manual with about half the pages of the later one so what I post will be a hybrid using pages from the clean manual supplemented by pages from the dirty well used later manual.

Other manuals include repairs and Mk XIX pilots notes

EDIT - My apologies for the file names I used as you cannot see what section is what. I will rename the lot and repost them
1611636480876.png

Attachments

• s0a Preliminary pages AL 15 (45-NK) OCR ww2ac.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 274
  • s0a Preliminary pages AL 16 (48-11) OCR.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
  • s0b Leading Particulars (44-04).pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 249
  • s1 Controls pilot (44-04) OCR ww2ac.pdf
    11.8 MB · Views: 299
  • s3 Controls crew stations (44-04) OCR...pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 276
  • s11 Arm & Equip AL 6 (43-01) OCR.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 258
  • s11 Arm & Equip AL 12 (44-04) OCR.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 294
  • s4 Instructions for ground personnel (48-11) OCR ww2ac.pdf
    26.2 MB · Views: 258
  • s05 Removal, assy & dismantling (44-08) OCR ww2.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 250
  • s07 Description of structure (44-04) OCR ww2ac.pdf
    24 MB · Views: 282
  • s06 Electrical and radio AL 12 (44-04) OCR ww2ac..pdf
    34.3 MB · Views: 278
  • s08 Engine installation (44-04) OCR ww2.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 256
  • s09 Hydraulics & Pneumatics (44-04) OCR ww2.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 252
  • s10 Electrical and radio AL 12 (44-04) OCR ww2.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Thanks for posting these. It's nice to see the more detailed Volume 1 of the AP instead of the much more common Pilots Notes.

This is one of the worst manuals I have found, so much has been left out, like almost everything to do with turrets, bomb gear and cameras.
Comparing my two copies I find not a lot of difference. The later manual has a lot of revisions to Chapt 4, one in Ch 5 and one in the prelim matter, but nothing else when compared to the earlier and officially both have no section 2. The later manual has an earlier version of Ch 11 behind the Ch 2 separator so I will copy the two prelims and the early Ch11 next, followed by the rest of the early manual. Revised Ch4 will be last - it is the most fragile and has a several foldouts that are in less than pristine condition.

Although I thought the later one was much fatter it is bound with the usual shoe lace instead of metal pins to just seems fatter.

I have heard of a 1938 copy and am trying to get my hands on that one as well.

Three sections added and one changed to be more printer friendly at a local restorers request. If you print the small pages as A5 or half letter size they will be very close to the original sizes and printing the foldouts as A4 or Letter is again close to the original sizes.
I have contacted a person with a 1938 manual which unfortunately is a photocopy and he will bring it with him when he visits in the near future. I will scan it before he leaves

Section 3 posted

Given that the Canadian manuals I have seen (just Lancaster, T-6/Harvard, P-51, T-33, F-86 and C-45 airframes and Merlin Engines) are vastly superior than the original US/UK manuals hopefully the Canadians did an British Anson manual. If anyone has access to one of those I am sure others would like to see it posted here as it may show all the missing data. Any Anson parts lists would be nice as well.

The Canadian Anson Mk V was all wood using processes like the Airspeed Oxford and would be equally nice to see.
The Anson Mk II was used (built??) in Canada with Jacobs engines so should have Canuck manuals also.

Last edited:
Section 6 and 7 in both copies have Murphy problems. The same sheet is missing from the good copy and sexually distressed in my second copy. I am going to Brisbane tomorrow and will see a person who may have a copy of the manual (original or photocopy) and if so will scan that while there and be able to use it.
dud f2-3.jpg

Section 7 posted with the aid of the Brisbane friends copy.
6 to come soon - I am expecting a scan of the sexually distressed page any day now.

I also collected a second (1937 revised to 43) copy of the repair manual in Brisbane and will try and scan it - it is pretty tatty and may not be worth the effort.

Sections 8, 9, 10 added.
And yes both Section 6 and 10 are electrical and wireless. Six is servicing and 10 is installation.

Now I have to go earn my keep for a few days.

Thanks to https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/members/doom.72796/ in the thread How to scan fragile old blueprints? I am able to doc-feed scan the next manual which is AP 1525 vII pt3 Anson Aircraft Repair Schemes. The copy I am scanning first is a copy that was saved from a pile of manuals being burnt. Most of the damage is to the cover and tops and outer margins of pages but all the pages are very dry and brittle. All pages are darker than one would expect from aging so I guess that is also from being heated. The manual was apparently dunked in water then taken apart to allow each page to dry. On most pages this had no visible effect but the dye in the blue tape on the cover bled through to the first page. I have pasted over the operators information. I only have the loan of this manual for a few days so first priority is to scan it - five sheets at a time. The @#$%^ Brits do not believe page numbering is needed and that one should just use paragraph numbers so more than the lesser of five sheets or a chapter has the potential to provide problems. Missing pages is a hassle also.
1615875850229.png

Sorry for the long delay but here is the repair manual with all blank pages removed from the figures section. I have standardised the text on one page size and printed to A4 in Acrobat and done all the figures on A4 so some are close to double size and others somewhat reduced
1619761286447.png

Attachments

• AP 1525 vII pt3 Anson Repair Schemes text.pdf
    51.1 MB · Views: 359
  • Anson Figures ww2.pdf
    8.4 MB · Views: 222
AP 1525 N&Q Anson 19 & 21 Pilot Notes OCR from a photocopy I got in the early 80s. Some pages are not clear and many have hand amendments. I strongly suspect this copy was used as the draft of the Australian civilian flight manual for the type. For nearest to original size print most pages A5 but pages 53-58 print A4.

Nothing else for the next three weeks. That four letter word (W**K) gets in the way again.
1620014416377.png

Attachments

• AP 1525 N&Q Anson 19 & 21 Pilot Notes OCR ww2..pdf
    14.8 MB · Views: 234
Next up will be the Maintenance Schedules I have - one was drowned in the 2013 floods so may not be that readable.

Sorry but it will take a while before the next manual is posted. One I am processing was scanned from a photocopy made with a filthy copier and every one of the 176 pages needs lots of manual cleaning (unfortunately I am a virgo and we are picky b-------s, This is partly offset by the fact most virgo's do not burn both ends of the candle, we break the bleeding thing in half and burn all four ends)
1622780393448.png

The drowned Anson Maintenance Schedule is very "tired" and will take a lot of work as well. And that four letter word W--K keeps getting in the way
1622780609515.png

It goes with my job. Since I got out of restoration in 1990, I have been a Quality and Safety Manager in the aircraft industry for part 121 and 145 operations. Depending on which country you are in the title is Compliance Manager, Quality Manager, Quality and Safety Manager or similar. In most countries this now requires the Regulators approval and the minimum qualification is to be a qualified pilot and/or maintainer with a minimum of five years experience after qualification, Aerospace AS9000 quality qualifications, ICAO standard Safety training, and ICAO Annex 13 training. As each new requirement is added you have to re-qualify. Australia only requires a training program in a university with no practical knowledge of what you are responsible for.
I am not employed in Australia.

Last edited:
Here is the RAAF Anson Maintenance Schedule
1625991576723.png

I removed the aircraft details but it was an RAF serial aircraft that operated in the RAAF Survey Flight. The material should be similar for UK aircraft. I left in all the signatures etc and the bleed through, blobs made by pages closed on wet ink, etc, etc.

Attachments

• RAAF Sec 2 Anson Maint Sched () OCR ww2.pdf
    41.5 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back