eBay: Avro Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Avro Lancaster B.I(FE) SW315 No. 35 Squadron 14/11/1945 25/03/1948 Far East (FE) Tiger Force

1659523867928.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Armstrong Whitworth
Contract:
239/SAS/C4 ( C )
SW302
Works Order:
Delivered:
1945-06-12
Struck off:
1953-07-31

1662545581530.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Found this picture was among various pictures and documents in an enveloppe with the stationary of the War Department, handwritten 323 Service Sq and addressed to : Commanding Officer 376th Bomb Group, a 15th Air Force unit.

I find this picture rather puzzling : how could have this Lancaster crash landed in Southern Italy ? It is without doubt inspected by an American (wearing a M 1941 Field Jacket and HBT pants).

Lancaster.JPG

Found this picture was among various pictures and documents in an enveloppe with the stationary of the War Department, handwritten 323 Service Sq and addressed to : Commanding Officer 376th Bomb Group, a 15th Air Force unit.

I find this picture rather puzzling : how could have this Lancaster crash landed in Southern Italy ? It is without doubt inspected by an American (wearing a M 1941 Field Jacket and HBT pants).

View attachment 685718
Bomber Command ran a bombing campaign from Britain against northern Italian cities between 1940 and 1943. It was not unknown for aircraft that suffered damage on the way out or over the target to seek a safe haven on North African or Southern Italian / Sicilian airfields. Also seem to recall 617 heading for NA after raging a southern French target.

Armstrong Whitworth
Contract:
239/SAS/C4 ( C )
SW302
Works Order:
Delivered:
1945-06-12
Struck off:
1953-07-31

1662545581530-png.png

An intriguing image. AW's batch of Lancasters under the listed contracts were Mk.Is modified for Far East service, but this aircraft on entering service was designated a PR.1, of which there isn't a huge amount of information out there about, specifically regarding camera fit, which I'm thinking was installed in the bomb bay. In the picture the turrets are not fitted, most likely to save weight and where the H2S blister is normally located there's a flat plate. The flight deck glazing is reduced, most likely as a result of its intended theatre of ops. This aircraft operated with 82 Sqn, a bit of info snaffled from the unit's wiki page:

"On 1 October 1946, the squadron was reformed at RAF Benson equipped with Avro Lancasters and Supermarine Spitfire PR. XIXs to undertake aerial surveys of Nigeria, the Gold Coast, Sierra Leone and Gambia. The squadron moved to Kenya in October 1947, it was flying from RAF Eastleigh [Nairobi] by 1950. In 1952, the squadron relocated to the UK and was re-equipped with Canberras in November 1953, remaining in the reconnaissance role. On 1 September 1956 the squadron was disbanded."

More from the Lancaster wiki page:

"PR.1, B.1 modified for photographic reconnaissance, operated by RAF No. 82 and No. 541 Squadrons, wartime. All armament and turrets were removed with a reconfigured nose and a camera carried in the bomb bay. "

This is slightly misleading as neither 82 nor 541 Sqns operated Lancasters during wartime, although both squadrons were active in the war. Operating PR Spitfires postwar, 541 Sqn received a few Lanc PR.1s in 1946, but the Lancaster Flight was reformed as 82 Sqn in October that year.

Last edited:
Bomber Command ran a bombing campaign from Britain against northern Italian cities between 1940 and 1943. It was not unknown for aircraft that suffered damage on the way out or over the target to seek a safe haven on North African or Southern Italian / Sicilian airfields. Also seem to recall 617 heading for NA after raging a southern French target.
I deleted my previous reply as my comment was misleading. Evidently "Operation Bellicose" June 20-24, 1943 was a shuttle raid where targets in Friedrichshafen were hit and on the return journey La Spezia was bombed. They refueled at a US base in Algiers. No aircraft were lost on these raids, according to Middlebrook and Everitt.

More research is required.

Jim

Last edited:
Looks like it's been modified for aerial photography. The RCAF carried out photo survey work of Northern Canada before the work was contracted out to private companies.

I think this is the original letter From Harris in reaction to Wallis his idear.

EHarrisATWallisB430214.1.jpg

Transcription

this on a clear night with moonlight and radio altimeters. A.C.A.S. (T.R) suggested that we might send an experienced Lancaster Squadron Commander to the meeting on Monday to express an opinion on this point.
"IT WON'T WORK," BOMBER HARRIS
[signature]
[underlined] 14th February 1943. S.A.S.O. [/underlined]
S.A.S.[underlined]O.[/underlined] This is tripe of the wildest description. There are so many ifs & ands that there is not the smallest chance of it working. To begin with the bomb would have to be [underlined] perfectly [/underlined] balanced round it's axis. [indecipherable word] rotation at 500 RPM would wreck the aircraft or tear the bomb loose. I don't believe a word of it's supposed [indecipherable word] on the surface.
It would be much easier to design a "[indecipherable word]" bomb [inserted sketch] to run on the surface, bust it's nose in on contact, sink & explode. This bomb would of course be heavier than water & exactly fit existing bomb bays.
At all costs stop them putting aside Lances [sic] & reducing our bombing effort on this wild goose chase. Let them prove the practicability of the weapon first. Another Toraplane – only madder. The war will be over before it works - & it never will. [underlined] ATH [/underlined]

I've seen this before. The first indecipherable word might be "Further" followed by a comma, but that's a guess. Second indecipherable word is "scow", I think.

I like the IBCC. Some good material there and available for download For use. No strings. Unlike the IWM which is userous.

Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back