B-17 best kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alessandro

Recruit
Jan 19, 2010
Hello I'm new in this forum.
I'd like to start building a B-17 (my favorite plane). I don't know if build it in 1/72 or 1/48 scale: which are its measure in both scale?

Which are in your opinion the best kit I will have to buy?
Any details or accessories kit to buy for this plane?

Thank you in advance
Ale

Humm... you don't know if build it in 1/72 or 1/48 scale and its measure are in both scale.

So it means that the mathematics is something unknown in schools there. But it is easy. Find the B-17 wingspan in metres
and divide it by 72 or 48. Then multiply these quotients by 100 and you will get the wingspan in centimeters for scale models.Using the same way you can find a fuselage length.

Which one of B-17 kits...there is a lot of them in both scales.Of course the price of them is different and depends on the manufacturer and place of buying.The same with accessories.

The wingspan on the B-17 was approximately 103 ft 9 in (31.62 m) , and the length is 74 ft 4 in (22.66 m) (may vary depending on the varient).

This is a big bird - over a foot long and 17 inches wide in 1/72 scale. For 1:48 scale multiply those dimensions by 1.5.

Last edited:
Yep, in 1/48th scale, it takes up a lot of space! In this scale, there are only two readily available kits, both from Revell, although one used to be marketed under the Monogram lable (they are the same company). The Revell B17F, curently with markings for 'Memphis Belle', is the less expensive, but has less interior detail than the next kit, which is the more expensive B17G, an early version, with parrallel waist windows and the 'standard' tail gun position.With the exception of the 'chin' turret on the 'G', the mouldings are identical, and actually fit each other. The 'G' model has interior detail throughout, including the bomb bay, although the bay doors are moulded closed. There is also a 'Visible' version of this kit, where one fuselage half is moulded in clear plastic, although I believe a 'solid' part is also included in the kit.
I don't normally model in 1/72nd scale, but from what I've seen, I think either the Hasegawa or Academy kits would be good options, although both have their faults. If still current, both ranges offer the 'F' and the 'G' model in this scale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back