B-17 Cowling

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TKB

Recruit
Mar 16, 2011
I have just about every reference book on the B-17 along with a B-17G Parts Catalog on CD. I have combed thru these attempted to verify what the differences were between the B-17E and the B-17F/G cowling anti-drag ring, but the subject is only vaguely mentioned. Most mention that with the introduction of the paddle bladed propellers on the "F" model, the cowlings needed to be slightly modified to accommodate the feathering of the propeller blades. Other sources state that the "F" cowling was shortened and redesigned.

When looking at different 3 view drawings of the B-17F/G, every drawing seems to have a slightly different interpretation of the shape of the cowling anti-drag ring, but all seem to lean towards a gentle taper from the rear to the front edge.

When I have taken dead-on side view photos of the B-17E and B-17G and sized them so the rear edge diameter of the cowling anti-drag ring were equal. The B-17E does indeed seem to be about 3" longer in length then the "G", but the profile looks to be the same.

That would seem to answer the question; unfortunately I have come across several B-17G photos where the cowling anti-drag ring looks to have a definite taper to it, but from different angles, looks can be deceiving.

My questions are these:
A. Was the B-17F/G cowling anti-drag ring simply shortened?
B. How much was it shortened by?
C. Was there also a change to the profile?
D. If the profile was changed, could you describe it?
E. Is there a possibility that cowling anti-drag rings manufactured for Vega or Douglas did in fact have a different profile from Boeing?
F. Do you know of a source to obtain copies of technical/engineering drawings of both "E' and "F" cowling anti-drag rings.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

TKB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back