B-17 G 42-97286 Skipper an' the kids

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
help needed guy's

after reading about Skipper an' the kids a B-17G from the 560thBS 388thBG
a veteren of over 60+ missions often sustaining large ammounts of damage but always got her crews home this B-17G crasshed into a hillside on the ilse of Arran off the coast of scotland on the 10th december 1944 killing 11 crew whilst on what is belived to be a whiskey run.

if possible i would like to try and do a model of this B-17 for a future group build, so would like any help finding a picture or profile if any exist !

Thanks in advance

Karl

Oops! Thanks for the reminder Karl, I feel fairly certain I have a magazine article on this ship, with a pic of the nose art and the crew, plus possibly a couple of other pics. I'll try and find it tonight and let you know mate.

Found it! It was in 'Fly Past' magazine, June 1989. The aircraft was on a cross-country navigation exercise, combined with a run to Prestwick, Scotland, to collect whisky for the base Christmas parties at Knetishall. The magazine article deals mainly with a recovery group visiting the site around Christmas, 1988, in order to collect some pieces for their museum in Norfolk. The attached pics are from this article, and I'll scan the whole thing and e-mail it to you.
I think I might have some more pics, taken during WW2, if not of this aircraft, then certainly of others from the Group and Squadron, possibly in colour. I'll see what I can find and let you know. I'll certainly be able to put together a profile for you mate.
Note that in the airborne shot, she is carrying 1,000lb bombs on external racks, fitted to the wing roots, outboard of the bomb bay.Not unusual, but not that common either.

Attachments

• Can Jan 107.jpg
    Can Jan 107.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Can Jan 108.jpg
    Can Jan 108.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 590
Thanks! I just typed in the number of the aircraft and found that though. But the accident report was when I was a bit younger, I liked reading that sort of stuff and my uncle found it on the internet and I copied it into the PC... what are the odds someone would need it? :lol:

Harrison you are a star ! i googled the seriel number and got info on its missions flown and which crew were aboard but couldnt find the accident report !!!! what are the odds

Terry thanks a lot dont rush mate i know how much you've got on at the minute and there's plenty of time for research yet

Heres a link about the crash site. I know Wyton RAF base I believe has the Pathfinder museum has a horizontal stabilizer from the B 17 you're after Karl. Maybe give them a bell?

Good morning from the States, I just received relics from B-17 42-97628 Skipper "an" the kids and I was researching her demise and came across a forum from 2009 and you had posted a page of a report, by chance do you have the MACR report number?

My name is Greg and I currently have 63 relics from different B-17's, I am placing them on indivudal display boards and building a larger structure to hold them all for a museum here in the States. My goal is to be at 75 by years end, but I might fall short. I will reach it, but it might take me a little longer.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appericated.

Sorry to post like this but the mail box was full and beiung new here, I am not sure of the best way.....

Respectfully,

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back