B-17G "Chow Hound"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Littlegoose36

Recruit
Feb 7, 2009
Killeen, TX
Anyone have a photo of this plane. I looked on the net and can't find 1 picture. I have decided to create Chow Hound with my 1/48 "G" kit but the paint reference guide is in black and white and not very clear as to the seperation lines between colors. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Found this profile.

Attachments

• B-17Gchouwhound1_modifi%E9-1111[1].jpg
    B-17Gchouwhound1_modifi%E9-1111[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,152
Have a look there as well :

1/48 B-17 CHOW HOUND by Harry Doucette

In the Zip file there is an enlarged the second pic with the profile.

Attachments

• b17chow.jpg
    b17chow.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 3_66.jpg
    3_66.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 527
  • B17G how hound.zip
    94.1 KB · Views: 67
SWEEEEEEET, Just wondering if there are 2 different versions of this plane. The top one has no red on the wingtips and tail, the bottom color pic does. I know 2 different crews had this plane. Did some crews change paint schemes when they got a new plane? You know "out with the old, in with the new".

let's see a wing with a coin comparison, shall we? I wanna see how big it is, cos I'm planning on getting the 1/48th B-17G, myself.

SWEEEEEEET, Just wondering if there are 2 different versions of this plane. The top one has no red on the wingtips and tail, the bottom color pic does. I know 2 different crews had this plane. Did some crews change paint schemes when they got a new plane? You know "out with the old, in with the new".

Although the red colour is clearly seen on the fin in the B&W pic, it is unvisible on wingtips and stabilizers.But It doesn't mean that these areas weren't painted with red.I think that the red paint was on upper surfaces only.
Concerning your question in the second part of your post, I think the crews change couldn't be the reason for these changes in paintings generally.They might have changed arts or name of an aircraft but the red markings were signs of units, groups, sometimes just for quick ID.So they couldn't change that for themself.The upper profile without the red fin can be a mistake or a scheme of painting which had been used before these red markings were introduced.
There is a possibility that he bomber was badly damaged and needed to be repaired.Then the camo scheme could be refreshed with the new red markings.But it is my idea only and I'm not sure if I'm right.Rather I'm wrong.

Well I can't help you with the comparison cuz I haven't started it yet, but I can tell you that the Revell 1/48 kit has a wingspan of 25 15/16" (65.9cm) and a length of just over 19" (48.7cm) (according to the box anyway).

The Bomb Group adopted the red as a recognition colour, I think in early 1944, or late 1943, I'd need to check. The fin was red, as were the outer wingtips, top and bottom, and the tailplanes, top and bottom. The code letters would have changed from the earlier yellow, to Neutral Gray at this time.
Robert, it is big when built, and needs a lot of room. The attached pic of my (unfinished) model might give you an idea, if you look at what little background is visible.That light coloured wooden thing the board is sitting on is a chair!

Attachments

• models 10 -08 018.jpg
    models 10 -08 018.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 179
heh, pretty big! would you mind putting a pound coin on the fuselage or something? Ive got a pound coin a good friend of mine sent me a lil bit back. :)

OK Robert, will do. The pic shown previously was one 'on file'; I'll take a couple more, with a Pound coin, and other recognizable objects, to give an idea of size. I'll post them in an hour or so.
Terry.

The only pic I could find was the same as the one Wurger posted. But, here's a pic of some rather weathered B17G's pf the 381st, also part of the Ist Bombardment Wing, who used the red markings. The camouflage pattern and codes show up well.
Robert, here's a pic of the model, with a Pound coin on the wing, and a tape measure in front. Should give you an idea of size.

Attachments

• Bang Seat 005.jpg
    Bang Seat 005.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 294
  • B17 Model 002.jpg
    B17 Model 002.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 194
A few years ago I finished the B-17G. Later I did the BF109G6. Here they are together.

tom

Attachments

• B-17, Bf109G6.jpg
    B-17, Bf109G6.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 178

Users who are viewing this thread

Back