B-24 tricycle landing gear vs B-17 taildragger

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
Did the B-24 perform better with takeoffs, landings and ground handling with its tricycle landing gear than the B-17 with tailwheel-type landing gear?

Did the B-24 have a lower accident rate in this regards?

A tricycle landing gear aircraft is easier to take off and land, with risk mitigation being emphasized on the landing. I'm told that the B-24 did have a nasty shimmy on the NLG if you didn't keep elevator back pressure during the landing roll out, many B-24s could be seen with repairs around the wheel well where the pilot landed fast and allowed the shimmy occur, tearing up the wheel well. I don't know if there are stats comparing the B-24 to the B-17 with regards to landing accidents, but it is quite evident that the tricycle landing gear configuration eventually won out in the post war years.

The 24's nose wheel was a notorious weak spot in the design. One of my duties as Flt Engr when I flew in 'Witchcraft', was to be able to manually lower the nose-wheel and lock it in place, in the event of a malfunction.
And don't forget that the nose-wheel is fully castoring so steering is by use of differential power on the clockwork and the occasional dab of brake to keep straight / go around corners. With the sides of a Battleship, take off / landing in any cross wind sorts out the Men from the Boys ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back