B-25 Crash! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
1600577773577.png

Author: Joseph Daniels (ABC10)
Published: 8:12 PM PDT September 19, 2020
Updated: 9:43 PM PDT September 19, 2020

STOCKTON, Calif. — A WW2 era bomber crashed about five miles away from Stockton Metropolitan Airport on Saturday night, San Joaquin County Sheriff's officials said.
Sheriff's officials said the pilot tried to land in a field before striking a ditch. The plane received significant damage in the crash.
Officials said three people were on board the plane. Two received non-life-threatening injuries while another person was able to walk away fine. The two injured occupants were transported to the local hospital.

Seen this first thing on facebook this morning, such a shame but glad one one died and that all those injured are not serious. Hopefully it will be restored back to flying condition.

View attachment 595523

Author: Joseph Daniels (ABC10)
Published: 8:12 PM PDT September 19, 2020
Updated: 9:43 PM PDT September 19, 2020

STOCKTON, Calif. — A WW2 era bomber crashed about five miles away from Stockton Metropolitan Airport on Saturday night, San Joaquin County Sheriff's officials said.
Sheriff's officials said the pilot tried to land in a field before striking a ditch. The plane received significant damage in the crash.
Officials said three people were on board the plane. Two received non-life-threatening injuries while another person was able to walk away fine. The two injured occupants were transported to the local hospital.
The news is bad news, but it's about the best bad news possible.

Very pleased that my three 'Brothers were able to walk away from this one. And kudos to Rob flying the Bonanza being able to pinpoint the landing area and pass details on through ATC to the Emergency Service's.
I confirm no fatalities and 2 of my buddies injured...bl**dy amazing considering they'd just put a 10 ton plus B-25 down safely off airfield !.
This could have turned out much worse than it did when you consider that there are no '25 simulators that you can practice this sort of emergency in....your first time is your first time !!
'Old Glory' can be rebuilt with time and money.

A B-25 has excellent single engine characteristics. It would take an "interesting" screw-up to take one down, and that close to an airport. It brings to mind that restored Boeing Stratoliner that a whole load of airline pilots managed to run out of gas and ditch. I hope that B-25 is restored as well.

But that man in Ohio who owned the junkyard of airplanes (including a B-25) where the XP-82 was recovered broke down in tears and explained that he did not want them restored, because sooner or later someone would crash them. As the loss of the Collins B-17 showed, he has a point.

It brings to mind that restored Boeing Stratoliner that a whole load of airline pilots managed to run out of gas and ditch.
Or the retired Lockheed test pilot who crashed his son's ancient overloaded Constellation in 1980 while making a poorly planned and executed takeoff on a small strip in Indiana with a crew, none of whom were current and qualified in the aircraft, and were using remembered 115/145 power settings while burning 100LL. With predictable results.

That is quite sad to see. I am glad no one was killed.

That crash is about 45 minutes away from where I work. I am surprised that there wasn't more local coverage. This barely made the news and only on 2 stations. (out of 6)

I'm reminded of the excruciatingly rare B-26 that I was helping to restore at the Empire State Aviation Museum back in 2000. The owner reclaimed his warbird and once it was restored to flying condition tragically crashed and was killed in the accident. These aircraft are absolutely priceless pieces of history and although I love to see them airborne I wonder at the wisdom of risking their destruction just to be entertaining...

That is a silly mistake...still it looks repairable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back