B 29 Bombers Lost in tokyo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

reinhart1983

Recruit
Nov 11, 2010
Excuse me,I want to know how many B-29 Bombers Lost in tokyo of World War II ,

Tokyo or the whole campaign? For Tokyo, you'd need to go through each raid. And there were plenty. Also, have to define "lost". Is it shot down over Tokyo, ditched offshore, landed at an emergency airfield or were written off. Lot of variation.

"Stacked up corpses were being hauled away on lorries. Everywhere there was the stench of the dead and of smoke. I saw the places on the pavement where people had been roasted to death. At last I comprehended first-hand what an air-raid meant. I turned back, sick and scared. Later I learned that 40% of Tokyo was burned that night, that there had been 100,000 casualties and 375,000 left homeless."

"A month after the March raid, while I was on a visit to Honjo on a particularly beautiful cherry-blossom day, I saw bloated and charred corpses surfacing in the Sumida River. I felt nauseated and even more scared than before."

"We ourselves were burned out in the fire raid of May 25th 1945. As I ran I kept my eyes on the sky. It was like a fireworks display as the incendiaries exploded. People were aflame, rolling and writhing in agony, screaming piteously for help, but beyond all mortal assistance."

Fusako Sasaki

Users who are viewing this thread

Back