B-35 Flying Wing bomb bays

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Benjdragon

Airman
Sep 18, 2015
I am looking for the dimensions of the bomb bays in the B-35 bomber. Several years ago I found a diagram on the web with the info, but I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone have this information?

From the book "Flying Wings, A visual history of the Northrop XB-35 YB-49 Flying Wings" Highly recommended.

Flying_Wing_Bomb_Bay.JPG

This diagragm may help.

Unfortunately, there isn't a key to scale, however, with a little math, you can determine the bay dimensions by the wing's width which is 172 feet exactly.

View attachment 305537
Yeah, it's not hard to estimate the dimensions from the drawing. Out of curiosity, do you have a forward view?

Not to rain on this parade but you may not find much on this - weapon systems bays (bomb bays) dimensions in the post WW2 era (with the exception of the B-52) are sometimes not always advertised (at least they were not on the B-2).

Yeah, it's not hard to estimate the dimensions from the drawing. Out of curiosity, do you have a forward view?
I'll do one better...

Here is a 3-view.if you look to the lower right, there is a key, which is in meters (indicating 8 meters for reference). Use that to determine the dimensions of the bays shown.

YB-35_3v.jpg

* * by the way, if you right-click-save this image, it should save at it's original size, which is 1024x670 instead of the forum default. This will provide much better detail. * *

Last edited:
I'll do one better...

Here is a 3-view.if you look to the lower right, there is a key, which is in meters (indicating 8 meters for reference). Use that to determine the dimensions of the bays shown.

View attachment 305603

* * by the way, if you right-click-save this image, it should save at it's original size, which is 1024x670 instead of the forum default. This will provide much better detail. * *
If I do my measurements right, the bay is 4m in length which should be enough to stuff the Little Boy in it. Not sure about width and depth, but, the length seems good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back