B-36

ivanotter

Airman 1st Class
184
0
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Location
Johannesburg, South Africa
All,

I read that the crew amounted to 15 people on the B-36/
15? very small cockpit, very small area.

15? inclusive of the lady with the tea trolley?

Obviously you should have more than one crew as it could stay up there for 40 hours, but 15?

What did they all do?

Ivan
 
"The B-36 was originally manned by a crew of 15. Crew positions included pilot, co-pilot, two navigators, bombardier, flight engineer, radio operator, radar operator, two ECM operators and five gunners.



Read more: Specifications for the B36 Peace Maker | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8241230_specifications-b36-peace-maker.html#ixzz2C8iCkHns"
 
Seeing as the B-24 had 11 crew, and was less than half the size, I don't see 15 as being that big a crew, on some sites they list the crew of the B36 as 13.
Having 2 navigators and 2 ECW people add up. In some WW2 bombers, some crew did double duty, as gunners and other crew positions.
 
I met a man today who was a B-36 mechanic/crew member.

If anyone has any questions, I can ask him the next time I see him. I should see him about once a month.
 
Just look at the cruise speed and the max range. Do the math and add up the hours in flight that entails and then make a determination of whether they needed a relief crew or not.
 
When they stripped the RB PRU/ELINT versions, those big birds got right up there ceiling-wise,beyond interception, dunno if the nuke toting jobs would ever have got past the Migs though..Chuck Yager thought not..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back