B24 A6/A6A turret differences

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RRMerlinxx

Airman
Feb 14, 2013
Hi all, can anyone assist me with finding out the differences in the A6 and A6A turrets on the B24J, I'm going restoring one for a museum I volunteer at and before I make a start I would like to find out which model it is.

Also does anyone have any manuals/engineering drawings that will assist in the restoration as there is quite a bit of it missing.

Regards

Aaron

Have a look at www.b24australia.org.au
Their library pages may have what you want and you may be able to get them to scan the docs
I have never dealt with them so I cannot give you any names but they are very friendly if you visit them
Best of luck
Mi Tasol
PS - if they scan the manuals for you please do everyone else a favor and post them here

Externally, there is little or no difference between the two and it's not clear why there was a change in designation. Speculation is that the A6 designation was for tail turrets and A6A for nose turrets. Also, some turrets show diagonal brace extending from the gun mount to the turret frame which may explain the A6A designation. There are major differences between the A6/A6A turret and the A6B.

I do not know if this will help or just create more confusion but attached is the page on turrets from the 1946 USAAF index of TOs.
My apologies for the quality but that is all I have to work with.
You will see that there are several manufacturers of the A-6 series. Some A-6 turrets are identified as tail only and others nose and tail.

Attachments

• 11 srs TOs.pdf
    50.7 KB · Views: 306
Just found an ebay site with turret manuals in amongst the 800 odd listed - I did not see the A-6 but you may have better luck. Unfortunately the vendor does not accept questions and calls everything Flight Manual - even if it is a turret manual, camera manual, parts catalog, repair manual, oxygen manual, etc.

They do have some very rare stuff like the Continental I-1490-9 Continental XI-1430 - Wikipedia

Prices are all over the place

Items in ServedFaithfully*RetiredGraciously store on eBay!

Others may find what they are searching for there

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back