B24 construction Manuals

Discussion in 'Other Mechanical Systems Tech.' started by dougkast, Oct 3, 2007.

1. dougkast

dougkast New Member

I have a freind who possesses what looks like B-24D Service and Instruction Manuals that was his dad's who worked for a company in San Diego, California area that manufactured the B24, are these of any value? It's like a seven or eight book suitcase, the case looks like it was made for the books. His Dad passed away recently, He hasn't had the time to go through it yet. Would like some feedback.
    Doug :?:

2. R-2800

R-2800 Member

WAWA!!!!
    [​IMG]

These? sorry about the size!!

3. GaryMcL

GaryMcL Member

Banking/Firefighter-EMT
    Doug -

If what your buddy's got looks like this and R-2800's pic it's the seven-volume bound set that was issued to individual aircraft commanders during training. I've only seen them for the B-24D model. The seven volumes should be Airplane General Manual, Powerplant Manual, Flight Manual, Hydraulic Manual, Electricity Manual, Radio Manual and Armament Manual (see R-2800's pic). They were issued with a leather case to hold them plus some extra paperwork and were embossed, including the case, with Consolidated's logo and such.

I've seen four of these sets sold on eBay during the past two or three months. I dug back through my records and they went for $1,127, $515, $350 and $910. The set that went for $350 may have not had the case with it but I just did a quick check. A lot of it depends on who was bidding and how badly they wanted the set. If you want a list of auction numbers to look at the pics and such for research shoot me a PM and I'll get them to you.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Attached Files:

4. dougkast

dougkast New Member

Yes...he brought in one book today to work and it's the Service and Instrction Manual, Airplane General, B-24D Airplane, Consolidated Aircraft Corporation, San Diego, California. Page one has a serial number of No. A 3011. The one book in in A-1 condition!!! I have a photo of the one book but don't know how to upload it to this site. This book has a lot of details on the plane.

OK here we go...I figured out how to upload. I got a kick out of the Lester B. Boner cartoon.

Doug

Attached Files:

5. dougkast

dougkast New Member

Also...Dave, my co-worker, said the case contains all the hardcover books and softbound books. He's going to bring them to work soon and we'll do a better inventory. He thinks he may also have tools issued his Dad by (CAC), the plane ticket that took him to or from San Diego, and I told him to look for photos. I believe together this package is of more value. He believes his dad was a fuselage assembler.

Doug

Attached Files:

6. syscom3

syscom3 Pacific Historian

Thats one great collection you have there. take care of them!

7. R-2800

R-2800 Member

WAWA!!!!
    I love them my dad has about 5-6 of them. They are very interesting

8. brewerjerry

brewerjerry Active Member

Hi
    If either of you find time to take scans or even just digital photos of the pages and post them here :D I am sure many board members would find them interesting and enjoy them also.:)
    cheers
    jerry