B29 leaflet dropping (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I saw this posted on the B29 web site i receive mail from. Very interesting!!!!!!

There has been a discussion of leaflet drops by B-29 flights from the Marianas. Here is a link to an article entitled "The Information War in the Pacific, 1945". It discusses how the US Office of War Information (OWI) used leaflets and radio broadcasts to influence the Japanese civilians and military.

http://www.odci.gov/csi/kent_csi/docs/v46i3a07p.htm

What must have been really demoralizing is for the US to tell them what cities they would be bombing, and there was nothing at all the Japanese military could do to stop them.

That was very interesting Sys I'm with Lanc I too was unaware of the leaflet drop . Although of course believing what is broadcast by the enemy be it in written or transmitted form is taken with a very big pinch of salt.
Tokyo Rose and Lord Haw Haw transmissions where only popular because they played some good music not for their propaganda content.

I remember reading about B-29 leaflet dropping in Japan towards the end of the war. Basically they said where they were bombing and when and urged civilians to leave the area. If that doesn't show air superiority I don't know what does. The Japanese acknowledged this, there was a quote "an enemy is truly superior when he tells you directly when and where he will attack because he knows you can't stop him" or something along those lines.

I saw a couple of those leaflets in the Edo-Tokyo city museum (in Tokyo of course). It was in Japanese so I couldnt read it, but they did make the point by having a B29 dropping bombs printed on the top of the leaflet

:lol:

i wonder, now that there is in general more opposition towards governments at war from the nation's own people, leaflets like this would have more effect than those dropped on very patriotic people of WWII?? if you understand what i'm saying........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back