B5N2 Kate

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
This is an old 1/72 Mania kit. I couldn't resist this camoflage scheme.
Ed

Attachments

• DSC01644.jpg
    DSC01644.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC01647.jpg
    DSC01647.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC01649.jpg
    DSC01649.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC01651.jpg
    DSC01651.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01653.jpg
    DSC01653.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 148
Very nice indeed. Must had been quite a challenge.
Though I have to admit I never saw that camouflage scheme before, but then again I'm no expert in Japanese aircraft.

Very nice indeed. Must had been quite a challenge.
Though I have to admit I never saw that camouflage scheme before, but then again I'm no expert in Japanese aircraft.

I have seen two or three variations of this camo, especially on older Hasegawa boxes. The colors I have used were mixed to match the colors on the origional Mania kit instructions. I think it was one of the Pearl Harbor attack planes but I am not sure. With no yellow wing ID's it has to be very early WW II. I have also seen the same colors (not the designs) on aircraft operating in China, probably as bombers not torpedo planes.
Ed

I have seen two or three variations of this camo, especially on older Hasegawa boxes. The colors I have used were mixed to match the colors on the origional Mania kit instructions. I think it was one of the Pearl Harbor attack planes but I am not sure. With no yellow wing ID's it has to be very early WW II. I have also seen the same colors (not the designs) on aircraft operating in China, probably as bombers not torpedo planes.
Ed

That is a rather neat looking job Ed....certainly different.....but not accurate I'm afraid.....

the 3- relates to a land based Group and is not a Pearl harbor aircraft, not sure just which will need to check further...

The PH carrier Divisions carried a different code system of an Alpha and Roman numeric code to identify the ship within the specific carrier division...eg AII-XXX A = First Carrier Div, II = second Carrier.

That is a rather neat looking job Ed....certainly different.....but not accurate I'm afraid.....

The kit had two different paint schemes and one set of decals.The instructions were all in japanese and I assummed you had your choice. The only part I could make out was the date which said 1941.The camo job looked so neat I didn't really check it out. I should know better. If you find out the group I would appreciate it.
Ed

The kit had two different paint schemes and one set of decals.The instructions were all in japanese and I assummed you had your choice. The only part I could make out was the date which said 1941.The camo job looked so neat I didn't really check it out. I should know better. If you find out the group I would appreciate it.
Ed

Will check it out for you Ed! I know the 3- prefix was used on A5M Claude and A6M Zero's of the 12 Naval Air Group mainly in China before Pearl Harbour...the code could be bogus for the Kate...maybe?

Well....the code is not bogus ED :D

definitely 12th Naval Air Group.....the primary aircraft were the A5m Claude then the A6M Zero it was a mixed fighter and bomber group.

The Kates in fact had a Silver/Natural Metal finish with Red tail...but please don't let that get in the way your nice 'what if finish!:D

Attachments

• Kate_3-317_12th Naval Air Group_Photo.JPG
    Kate_3-317_12th Naval Air Group_Photo.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Kate_3-317_12th Naval Air Group_Profile.JPG
    Kate_3-317_12th Naval Air Group_Profile.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 60
That looks like the other option offered on the kit decal sheet. I remember the number over the fuselage hinomaru, but no other tail codes were offered. I wish I still had the instructions to see if what I remember is correct. Anyway,thanks for your research. I appreciate it.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back