Ba.65 Royal Iraqi AF, 5 Sqd, Al Rashid AB, 1941 - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dave, I'd be inclined to razer saw the base off at the lip (Pic 1), then drill small holes from the inside (Pic 2) so that you can cut the middle out with a sharp knife or a fine key hole saw (Pic 3) if you have one. Then you can either saw back the surplus resin rim (Pic 4) to a point close to the kit part and then file to shape or just file back the rim to the shape required.

David 1.jpg

David 2.jpg

David 3.jpg

David 4.jpg

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Nice Vic. David, you need to keep in mind also that resin is quite soft so sandpaper will work quickly and can leave deep scratches. Just take it nice and slow.

Thanks for that input Andy, one tends to forget how soft and fragile resin can be.

Dave if you're not sure about working the resin, just yell mate and watch out for the dust.

That is one ugly bird Dave!

Makes a very interesting topic, an Italian Bomber in Iraqi service, makes you think it woukld try to bomb it's own side...and miss!

I finished up the Cowling today.

Where I started at:
Ba65 Cowl1.jpg

I took the advice Vic gave and cut it at the place he recommended, and had a wonderful surprise. There was no need to drill the small holes as the end came completely off.

Ba.65 Cowl B.jpg

I then took heavy sand paper and sanded it down to a certain point and Andy was corrected, it was not as hard as I was expecting.

Ba.65 Cowl C.jpg

I then took fine sandpaper and got within 1mm of where I wanted, then finished with an Emory board I liberated from my girlfriend's purse while she was not looking.

Ba.65 Cowl D.jpg

I was both happy, and relieved!

Thanks Dave. Now I know what to do with mine...which, incidentally, arrived today along with a Wirraway, Boomerang and Gloster E.28/39 (Squadron's Black Friday deal was too good to resist). Finally getting my modelling mojo back after a 15 year hiatus - got a Tamiya Spit MkI and a Buffalo on the bench and, best of all, my kids are getting into it so we can all make models together. Happy days!!!

Thanks fellas,

Excellent buff! Yea, that sale cost me $50 myself, though I do have a lot of books on their way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back