Back building again - Hawker Hurricane Mk,1 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
I underestimated the recovery time for the elective eye surgeries that I had performed back in May and again in June. Unfortunately my intent to participate in GB 54 was not possible. Glad to say that I now have one eye that is as good as it was when I was a teen (and that was excellent). The second eye not so much, ( the computer system miss measured the left eye and an incorrect corrective lens was installed ). This is to be corrected in a couple of months using lasers, I hope. One thing that both eyes now have is the ability to see the actual color of everything.

Anyway, I sure was missing building. I thought I would attempt, one and 1/2 eyed, to do an Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.1, 1/48. I think I'm almost back? Have a look at the results of my efforts. I am hoping to be able to join the GB 55 fun since it will go through December. Hopefully enough time to get two eyed again.

Some self critiquing. Not sure what the issues with the small decals are, but they just don't lay down, sticking tight to paint. I applied the camo pattern for one sqadron and at the last minute changed the decal set choice. May not be visible, but when applying the nose decal, swabbing with Tamiya Mark Fit, I grabbed the Tamiya cement brush. ouch. Had to do some paint touch up on that area.

Mk1 Box Art.jpg
Mk1 Port front.jpg
Mk1 Port rear.jpg
Mk1 Starboard front.jpg

Mk1 Starboard rear.jpg
Mk1 Front.jpg

Mk1 Rear.jpg
MK1 Bottom.jpg
MK1 closeup.jpg
MK1 Cocopit 2.jpg

Great model, congrats. The subject of the eyes becomes relevant at some point - I am beginning to feel it... Good luck with your surgery.

One thing: the ailerons on the wings must move in opposite directions.

Ralph, "I'm feeling your pain". I'm back into modeling after a decades long hiatus and wouldn't you know…I'm having cataract surgery on Monday. My son actually inspired me to renew my passion for building models that started as a young boy. In the past year I've completed a couple of WW2 ships, several aircraft, and several vehicles. I'm now working on a 1/48 scale Spitfire, desperately trying to finish it before I get my eye pealed and, like you, working on one cylinder. I wish you the best of luck with number 2.

Btw…your Hurricane looks great! I've got a lot to learn from you and the other experts here.

Ralph, "I'm feeling your pain". I'm back into modeling after a decades long hiatus and wouldn't you know…I'm having cataract surgery on Monday. My son actually inspired me to renew my passion for building models that started as a young boy. In the past year I've completed a couple of WW2 ships, several aircraft, and several vehicles. I'm now working on a 1/48 scale Spitfire, desperately trying to finish it before I get my eye pealed and, like you, working on one cylinder. I wish you the best of luck with number 2.

Btw…your Hurricane looks great! I've got a lot to learn from you and the other experts here.
Dont hasitate to show your work. We always like builds.

Best of luck on the surgeries. You will be amazed at the colors you will see again. I elected to have 'adaptive' lenses put in; allowing distance and anazingly good close up vision. As stated, the lens for the left eye was mismeasured causing the focus issues. Expext correction though.

Best of luck on the surgeries. You will be amazed at the colors you will see again. I elected to have 'adaptive' lenses put in; allowing distance and anazingly good close up vision. As stated, the lens for the left eye was mismeasured causing the focus issues. Expext correction though.
My wife tells me that I'm colorblind! "I can see clearly now that my eyes are fixed" (poetic license). I'm having lenses put in also. I looking forward to getting back my depth perception so I won't be gluing my fingers to my models. I'm a little concerned about bringing both of my eyes 👀 to the surgery…don't want them to do the wrong one! Good luck with your left eye repair.

Some planes had ailerons that also acted as flaps (I think called flaplets).
They leaned slightly downwards when the pilot extended the main landing flaps. Even then, however, they were able to lean against each other when the pilot was moving the stick sideways.
Rather rare technical solution in WW2, used f.e. in Junkers 88, but surely not in Hurricane.

If memory serves the Hurricane landing flaps were inboard of the wing and the ailerons outboard. I could be wrong. :D
Doing some research - idea gathering for GB55 I came across these, obvious now how they work. Although not Hurricanes, they do show their operation. Forever learning!!!

Bf 109G-10 Erla.jpg
Box Art Curtiss P-40B Warhawk.jpg

The 109 also would droop the aileron when the flaps were lowered.

Having 2 shoulder issues in one summer, I really feel for you Ralph. The other thing I miss is not driving my 2 stick shift cars.

Last edited:
The 109 also would droop the aileron when the flaps were lowered.

Having 2 shoulder issues in one summer, I really feel for you Ralph. The other thing I miss is not driving my 2 stick shift cars.

Very interesting walk-around, but perhaps the host made a little mistake - in my opinion none of the BF 109 E was equipped with a nose cannon (except one trial plane).
Bf 109's firing through the propeller shaft appeared in the F version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back