Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon (The Force Awakens)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away...

It's time to break out of my comfort zone once again and try something different. I'm sure all of you have seen Star Wars and know what the Millennium Falcon is. Yes, that lovable piece of junk that did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs and saves Luke Skywalker from the clutches of the evil Darth Vader so that the Death Star can be destroyed. I'm going to build a 1/144 scale model of the Falcon as she appeared in the newest Star Wars flick, The Force Awakens. I consider myself a fan but not quite a fanatic and this will be my first Star Wars model kit since childhood. I remember building both the MPC X-Wing and Tie Fighter model kits back in the 70's so this will bring back some childhood memories.

IMG_3605_zpszlm7rnfx.jpg

The kit is from Bandai. If you have never heard of Bandai, it's not because the company is small or doesn't produce many kits. It has a huge catalog of plastic models but the majority are sci-fi (Gundam, being the most well known) and directed mainly to its domestic market. Bandai's agreement with Disney to produce Star Wars models limits their sales so you won't see these kits sold in the US or Europe. Not a problem for the internet savvy and this kit is easy to obtain via Ebay or Amazon.

This is not a large model (at 1/144 scale, the Falcon is about seven inches across) and is packed into a relatively small 10"x6"x4" box. The side of the box is nicely decorated with photos from the film as well as of the built model.
IMG_3647_zpspzaitwix.jpg

IMG_3648_zpsqb7dgeca.jpg

The model instructions come in a stapled booklet.
IMG_3606_zpsbbf9ahml.jpg

Fairly typical schematic type drawings to guide the builder through the various steps of construction. Since this is a domestic market product, the instructions are in the Japanese language only... no English.
IMG_3607_zpsqthdjldn.jpg

Not to worry. Star Wars is a huge franchise (arguably the BIGGEST) and there are countless fans of which many happen to be modelers as well. An internet search of BANDAI MILLENNIUM FALCON INSTRUCTIONS yielded a set of instructions translated into English.
IMG_3608_zpsvg8anhpk.jpg

The parts are packed into the small box on compact sprues. Most of the sprues are individually protected in plastic bags but a few come two per bag.
IMG_3610_zpsfjarq4wy.jpg

I didn't realize the Millennium Falcon had ANY markings on its structure but apparently it does and a ton of them to boot. Bandai gives the builder a choice of either adhesive stickers or traditional waterslide decals for these small markings.
IMG_3611_zps8l3frrrv.jpg

The last page of the instruction booklet shows the placement of these stickers/decals. The booklet itself is small so it's very difficult to make out decal placement with these 50 year old eyes. I'll probably have to scan and enlarge this when the time comes.
IMG_3609_zpsgangjurg.jpg

Let's take a closer look at the parts. The first major piece is the upper hull of the Millenium Falcon, which is molded in one piece.
IMG_3612_zps1f0mfs2f.jpg

Hats off to Bandai as the molding on this kit is incredible. Painting this little beast is going to be the biggest challenge by far. But then again, I could see one getting a fairly acceptable result if you simply spray-canned the completed model in grey paint and giving it a panel wash.
IMG_3613_zpsir2wdqcg.jpg

That circular opening in the lower right of the photo is where the radar dish is mounted. In the new movie, the radar dish is square whereas the original Falcon had a round dish. More on that later...
IMG_3614_zpsaco4u4db.jpg

The bottom hull piece is similarly shaped but with additional openings for the landing gear and landing ramp. The biggest opening toward the rear is for a battery pack! You can probably guess what this is leading to!
IMG_3615_zpsv14dqt7d.jpg

Lots of surface detail has been molded integrally into the upper and lower hull, simplifying the construction process.
IMG_3616_zpsrgq3gz4m.jpg

Here is the interior of the bottom hull. A little bit more going on here than the typical locating pins you'd find on an aircraft model. The Bandai Falcon is designed to accommodate a separate lighting kit. I've done a bit of research and have found that the Bandai kit is expensive (about the same price as the kit itself) and limited (only two bulbs and you only have two choices: light the engine output only OR light the landing ramp and cockpit). I'm in the process of getting a more elaborate lighting system that would give me the option of lighting the engine AND other parts of the Falcon.
IMG_3617_zpsfnnfwlll.jpg

I'm probably running up against the photo limit of this post so I'll stop here. Just to let everyone know, I'm not jumping into this build right away. I'm going to do some more research before I begin. Since I've never dealt with electronics, putting in a lighting kit will be new territory for me. I am scheduled to travel to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan with my daughter soon so realistically, I'll not be starting this kit in earnest until sometime after March.

I'll continue on with the sprue tour shortly...

Fantastic John!!!

Star Wars nut myself, some of my first models were MPC Star Wars kits (X-wing fighter, A-wing fighter, Shuttle Tydirium and 2 Speeder bikes). Later a Naboo fighter from Pt.I (1999)

Bandai were doing wonderful 1:48 tanks and 1:12 motorbikes then. Very glad they are doing Star Wars things now!

I must confess that I am not a fan of such scale models.
But I can see that it is a brand that has taken care of the details and seems to be a formidable kit and in your hands will be a very interesting thread to follow, learn and enjoy your skills.
I'm in the front row to follow you in the process John.

Saludos y enséñanos más !! :thumbup:

I watched a video build of that kit and it looked awesome! Can't wait to see your take on it. Are you planning on installing any lighting? I want to build the monster Star Destroyer, can't remember the kit maker but it also looks awesome.

Revell, MPC, and Fine Scale all produced 1/72 scale Falcons though they are now well over $250 and some as much as $500. I'm not aware of any recent large scale kits, and 1/48???

[QUOTE="mikewint: ... not aware of any recent large scale kits, and 1/48???[/QUOTE]

Bandai's new (2015/2016) Snow Speeder is 1:48 scale, while their X-Wing is 1:72. Both on my 'to get' list!

I think the Revell kits are repops of the original MPC moulds, the Millenium Falcon being 1:64 IIRC.

From what I've been able to ascertain there is a "garage-type" resin kit available though apparently a LOT of work is required to fit it together. Secondly, though NOT a kit, their are plans available to (1) buy the Hasbro toy Falcon(essentially 1/48) then (2) scratch build an entire interior and some exterior fittings.
Revell has a "snap-together" Falcon and then the 904 piece Master Modeler 1/72 kit which is not actually in production so the +$250 prices

Last edited:
Nice one Dave! So they could go at light speed, right? :)

Seriously though, that must have been the only kit to have them (though I never seen their Star destroyer). The Shuttle Tyridium was big enough with huge (unrealistic) engines. Lighting would have helped that look better.

Clashed with Mike. Do Hasbro have rights to them too now?

Edit... Mind and Mike's posts just disappeared...or is our tablet playing up??

Re-edit: The posts came back. Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
The Hasbro Falcon is a toy for kids already assembled. You buy it then take it apart and reassemble with scratch built details inside and out
millennium_falcon_star_wars_new_hasbro_toy.jpg
newhasbro_zpsa90d0f8d.jpg

Thanks for the preliminary comments guys! Like I said, this is a new subject for me and I don't know much about this particular kit or the history of Millennium Falcon scale model kits. As far as recent kits go, I am aware of the larger 1/72 kit that Fine Molds first produced and Revell recently re-popped. Doing that one entered my mind but I thought I would be biting a bit more than I was prepared to handle. There is also the DeAgostini Falcon, which I think is the garage kit that Mike is referring to. That one builds up to a 1:1 replica of the five foot model that ILM used when filming and is purchased through a 12 or 25 month subscription which will total about $1500.

Many consider the five foot model to be the "definitive" Falcon as it was the largest and most detailed physical model built for the films (primarily the original Star Wars movie, aka A New Hope). The Bandai kit, as well as the CGI model for The Force Awakens, are based on the five footer. There is also a smaller 32" model that was used in later movies when it was necessary to have a more mobile model. There is a 1/144 scale Fine Molds kit based on the 32" model that I think is out of production.

Continuing on with the tour of the kit parts, here is a look at Sprue A. Bandai is the only manufacturer I know that molds different colored plastic on the same sprue tree. Sprue A has grey, clear blue and clear parts. The blue is intended to be used in conjunction with the optional lighting feature so that the back of the Falcon will glow blue as depicted in the latest movie. I am planning to incorporate lighting on this build so we'll just have to wait to see how this feature works when I get to it.
IMG_3618_zpsnnvwvq3v.jpg

The kit offers two options for the windowed areas: clear plastic parts and empty plastic frames. The film models used empty plastic frames to avoid glare and reflection.
IMG_3619_zpskq6enmkb.jpg

The kit's included figures are TINY. Less than an inch high but molded with a nice level of detail. The fact that you can easily tell who each of these figures is impressive. I'll make an attempt to paint these figures but who knows how they'll turn out. There is also a tiny BB-8 figure somewhere but I couldn't find him!
IMG_3663_zpsddgpwrcu.jpg

IMG_3662_zpske0lanmh.jpg

Some of the fine ducting that are molded as separate pieces. Don't be surprised if you something that strikes you as being familiar somehow. The original Millennium Falcon was essentially a giant kitbash from a collection of plastic model parts available at that time. From what I hear, you can recognize many of these kit parts in the Bandai moldings.
IMG_3659_zpsmskbrahw.jpg

IMG_3658_zps2et0rtyq.jpg

The next sprue, D-1, contains the "mandible" or distinctive jaws of the Falcon.
IMG_3623_zpsbzvj07vg.jpg

Again, very fine molded features with delicate ducting. I'll have to be very careful not to break parts when assembling this kit.
IMG_3624_zpsikqqtwaz.jpg

D-1 has the asymmetrical cockpit tube.
IMG_3625_zpsxpbmnpyr.jpg

During preliminary research of this kit, I've heard complaints regarding the raised details along the spine of the cockpit tube being too high. I've some builders take a saw to this strip of detail and either lower it or replace it.
IMG_3649_zpsza1vxxkw.jpg

Some great engineering on this kit by Bandai. These pieces stack on top of each other, three at a time to form a realistic 3-D maze of ducting, tubes and other details.
IMG_3650_zpshmgo4omz.jpg

Sprue E-1 holds some exterior details and inserts including one of the docking hubs and the empty frames of the cockpit canopy.
IMG_3628_zpsgaxvargt.jpg

Superbly molded detail... almost looks like resin doesn't it?
IMG_3651_zps2fxoxsnl.jpg

IMG_3652_zps0bktakwv.jpg

IMG_3653_zpsnwxh6x9c.jpg

To be continued...

Sprue E-2 has the other docking station and some detailed inserts for the sides of the Falcon, I presume. Also included is the one-piece cockpit.
IMG_3632_zps0tufugth.jpg

The detail is great except that the inserts look to be mirror images of each other, which I'm not sure is very accurate.
IMG_3656_zpsenavdibm.jpg

IMG_3657_zpshhnemscg.jpg

The one-piece cockpit is an interesting choice here given the detail bestowed upon the other parts of the model.
IMG_3636_zpsik2hbw2o.jpg

Sprue F is repeated twice and each sprue has landing gear and one of the gun stations. Also note the three circular grills in the lower left corner. They have the grilling molded onto the surface but are solid pieces of plastic.
IMG_3637_zpsjd4p9dg4.jpg

The landing gear legs are molded as a single piece.
IMG_3639_zpsnyge3f3v.jpg

I recollect that the gun stations had quad gun barrels. So I think this is part of the guns. The ends of the gun barrels look like unconvincing blobs of plastic. Being futuristic lasers, I'm not sure whether they have hollow barrels.
IMG_3638_zpsosgne70b.jpg

Finally, the last sprue holds the plastic base for the completed model. Based on the wavy texture and the color of the plastic, I'm assuming it is supposed to be representative of the planet Jakku.
IMG_3641_zpsxfixreil.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back