Bandai 1/72 Gunship from Nausicaa (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Here is another diversion from reality that is currently on my workbench. My OLDER daughter's birthday is coming up and I thought I'd do something similar to what I did for my younger one. As you recall, I built a plastic model kit of the Flaptter from the anime movie Castle in the Sky...
JTK_4779_zps879a1a27.jpg

This one is the Gunship of the Valley of Wind from the anime movie, Nausicaa, another Studio Ghibli film.
IMG_8319_zpsznpceknu.jpg

I'm not going to cover the build step-by-step since I've done alot without photo documentation so forgive me for the missing steps. But I'm using this build as a testbed for an expansion on my recent preshading experiments, so I thought it'd be worthwhile sharing. Here are some sprue shots from the kit. Like the Flaptter, it is meant to be a snap-together kit but the quality is fairly decent for this toy-like kit.

IMG_8322_zpsw6xbc19d.jpg

IMG_8323_zpsteemlw33.jpg

IMG_8328_zpswngslefb.jpg

IMG_8324_zpsnliq9hzz.jpg

IMG_8325_zpseq3jayz0.jpg

The figures (1/72 versus 1/20 for the Flaptter) are very small and mostly concealed since they are sitting in the aircraft. I gave it my best shot but didn't spend too much time on these.

IMG_8361_zpshcf1bnwt.jpg

Fast forwarding to the point where the fuselage and wings have been assembled.
IMG_8362_zpsdh9vq4kg.jpg

Uncle Mito the co-pilot is giving Princess Nausicaa the thumbs up from the rear position.
IMG_8363_zpskdj6oqnj.jpg

Nausicaa, in her trademark blue outfit, is all but hidden in the pilots seat.
IMG_8364_zpsrjkkzgs7.jpg

Preparing for painting, I cover up the two fuselage openings with tape.
IMG_8365_zpsryww42sh.jpg

Time for preshading! First is the customary black along the panel lines and details.
IMG_8366_zpskyblekbv.jpg

The blank areas were filled with a fine scribbling using green on the top.
IMG_8367_zpstccpwziy.jpg

The bottom was also scribbled with green but I left it sparse because I wanted to try a multi-color base this time.
IMG_8368_zpssha2hrwb.jpg

I added brown scribbling on the bottom and then some black on certain panels for contrast.
IMG_8369_zpse5hdqp8t.jpg

Black was added on the top in panels to finalize preshading.
IMG_8370_zpsd3nqztyf.jpg

Ready for the camo. The anime portrayed the gunship in an overall sand color. I think I may exercize some artistic license here and put a light blue/white pattern on the bottom as an homage to cartoon skies that are always blue with fluffy white clouds.

I remember the great gift for your oldest daughter, several of us enjoy your great assembly process. :thumbright::thumbleft:

This experimental process in preshading, I am sure will be of valuable information. ... and the progress so far * looks tremendous !!

Another invaluable gift now for your little daughter. Congratulations John.

I'll be watching what you show us! :shocked!:

SALUDOS :thumbup:

Sweet bro! Loved that movie. But if I remember correctly, wasn't it a guy flying the gunship when it attacked the big transports? I remember the princess being held prisoner on one that gets shot down. Fortunately she escapes on her little sky scooter. Am I remembering this correctly? I'm such a nerd. Either way great build!

Sweet bro! Loved that movie. But if I remember correctly, wasn't it a guy flying the gunship when it attacked the big transports? I remember the princess being held prisoner on one that gets shot down. Fortunately she escapes on her little sky scooter. Am I remembering this correctly? I'm such a nerd. Either way great build!

I believe you are correct sir! Miyazaki also published a manga (comic book) of the Nausicaa story... it was translated into English in the 90's as a graphic novel. I consider the Miyazaki's manga version of Nausicaa one of my favorite literary works... much more nuanced, complex and epic than the movie... VERY highly recommended if you get the chance. And Bandai also makes a kit of Nausicaa's one-man Mowe (or Mehve) but I've always like the look of the Valley Gunship... the front end is essentially a Derringer pistol!

ban-mowe.jpg

What the???? :shock:
Well this one IS a military aircraft of sorts! ;)

Almost done with this one!

Light blue and white on the bottom! Doesn't make tactical sense but I went with an idea so there it is.
IMG_8407_zpsm9dlcdi3.jpg

The top is a sandy brown color.
IMG_8408_zps9agcnvhl.jpg

A light gloss coat to seal the camo and a panel wash is performed on top of that.
IMG_8410_zpspavjlogi.jpg

IMG_8411_zpsu0fedmmd.jpg

Pull of the masking tape and the Gunship is done! No decals or markings on this craft.
JTK_6392_zpsewpj0vyp.jpg

JTK_6393_zpsszk4wsho.jpg

JTK_6395_zpsie15sl5h.jpg

JTK_6398_zpsxn22ixtv.jpg

JTK_6399_zpsloleqirl.jpg

JTK_6401_zps8qoeok5z.jpg

JTK_6402_zpsdttncn8b.jpg

JTK_6403_zpsyezcnaae.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it!

I believe you are correct sir! Miyazaki also published a manga (comic book) of the Nausicaa story... it was translated into English in the 90's as a graphic novel. I consider the Miyazaki's manga version of Nausicaa one of my favorite literary works... much more nuanced, complex and epic than the movie... VERY highly recommended if you get the chance. And Bandai also makes a kit of Nausicaa's one-man Mowe (or Mehve) but I've always like the look of the Valley Gunship... the front end is essentially a Derringer pistol!

ban-mowe.jpg

Well this one IS a military aircraft of sorts! ;)

Almost done with this one!

Thanks for the tip amigo. And totally agree about the look of that bird!

Nice work on the kit !! Can't help but think what an awesome job it would be to design such odd looking fantasy vehicles for productions. Always loved that German Transport plane in Raiders of the lost Ark !!

Great model with a superb execution! You Sir, gave me a great idea for my He 111 H-10 Slovak camo!
Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back