Banner tugs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I know you have probably all seen them, the airplanes that tow banners, advertising any number of things at the beach, over sporting events, etc. Years ago, I remember just a lattice type thing with red letters. Now it has gotten more fancy.

I got to witness a banner snatch and a banner release yesterday at Camarillo. It was pretty cool. I wrote up an article about it and posted it here:
Van Gilder Aviation Photography- Banner towing aircraft in action

Here are a couple of shots from the article:

Attachments

• DSC_3812.jpg
    DSC_3812.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC_3822.jpg
    DSC_3822.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 719
I was taxi-ing one time in so-cal and saw an aircraft doing what appeared to be an erratic maneuver. I was happy to see that it was swooping to snag a banner...

very cool to see.

I believe that aircraft is a souped up cub (Not a Supercub) - if I'm not mistaken it was at Erie Tri County airport for a spell about 3 months ago.

They actually have several of them at KCMA. I looked up the N numbers on the FAA site for the model numbers. I looked up Van Wagner, and they are a nationwide company that does the aerial banners, the largest in the US. So I would guess they have a pretty good sized fleet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back