Bass or Electric?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Desert Fox

Senior Airman
Jan 15, 2006
Great Southern Land
I've recently decided I'd like to learn to play the guitar, but I'm just not sure which is best: the electric or the bass. I've got absolutely no experience with music at all, I've never picked up a guitar let alone played one. I am sort of leaning toward bass, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone who has played either of these instruments, I welcome your opinions and suggestions.

OK firstly if you play bass and get ok at it there will always be work via cover band/teacher or just original band. Believe me 3 years of trying to find bassist is my research.

I guess the thing to consider is what parts of songs do you want to replicate or play. Is the monster riffs of Iron Maiden/ Metallica or is playing a bass line with the drums more your thing.

If you start with guitar you can easily get a bass and learn that too because the strings are the same as a guitar. You may find you make more progress on a guitar intially, thats important as to keep your interest when starting out is the key.

Personally I;ve played for about 12-13 years now on guitar and have played bass guitar. Im going to buy a bass soon so i can record my own stuff.

My recommendation start is find out what you like about music that makes you want to play ie melody or rythmn. In that I mean the main tune and the main beat.

If you still cant decide start with the guitar and see how that goes. You can pick up a nice student acoustic for about 90bux these days. Yamaha nylon string is my choice. That means theres not much outlay to get you started.

Any questions feel free to PM me mate Im open to anything.

Cheers Heinz

I think that playing metal riffs would be great, electric guitar was my original choice, but the thing that got me interested in bass was watching the bass solos from Cliff Burton and Robert Trujillo. If only I could play like that straight away!
I know it's quite a way out of my league at the moment, but as long as I get to play a solo every now and then, I'd be happy. Giving the song a rhythm and beat and driving the rest of the band so to speak is more my thing.

With bass you should keep in mind that you're always playing in the shadow of the guitar. While public sees and hears the guitar, they only notice him when he's not there. That doesn't mean the bass is not important! On the contrary, a good bass player creates the sound of the band together with the drums.

It's quite difficult to learn playing bass well, to keep it interesting, while on a guitar you can always play simple chords and it sounds like million bucks. But if it works, you'll have the satisfaction of a whole band totally relying on you.

Judging from that it seems you know what you want which is great.

As far as Cliff Burton goes he was awesome (RIP) and Robert is not far behind.

However just pace yourself and you will find things will move along quickly. Also check out Billy Sheenan hes a monster bassist.

Also Steve Harris from Iron Maiden, his bass lines aren't particulary hard. A good place to get into bass metal playing.

Cheers

BTW if you choose guitar, don't start with an electric right away. Start with an accoustic, you'll learn the basics of the technique much better, especially right hand technique.

I must admit we started my son on an acoustic and later he moved on to having an electric guitar.

I'm a bassit in a metal band so the best advice I can give is get your gear first!!

If you want to play guitar then Marcel is 100% correct, if you want bass then get bass, amp and goodies.

Unfortunately from my experience, there are to many guitarists that become bassits and a only few blokes start learning on a bass from the start.

I still battling playing guitar and halfway trough a riff I will get rid of the pick and start playing with my fingers!! :lol: :D :lol: :D

Four awesome bassits:
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), my personal hero
ICS Vortex (Simen Hestnæs) (Dimmu Borgir)
Ted Lundström (Amon Amarth)
Sami Hinkka (Eniferum) This guy plays a 6string bass, with awsome lead pieces!

Thanks for that, I'll check those guys out. I've already heard Steve Harris, he's a champion, up the Irons!!
And thanks for all your opinions, too, keep 'em coming, they're a great help

I must admit we started my son on an acoustic and later he moved on to having an electric guitar.

Which is exactly what I did.

Now Im into the whole shred scene and metal. Progression with your instrument helps. Mind when you start playing music in your teens you want something instantly. I started when I was younger, was more a hobby/social thing for me then.

I disagree with Eddie here dont go for all the gear and goodies until you are sure. Effects are great and that but learn and understand how much you can get out of a guitar first. Believe me I played for at least 9years without using effects by then my knowledge of how to get most out of my guitar really came through.

I have bought and sold gear in my time and Im back to using a basic practise amp. Thats after 13years. I still havent found my sound. So basically just get the basics and then see how it goes.

Oh what do you mean unfortunately guitarist that become bassists? I don;t really understand that. Australia has a real drought of bassist, any bassist is welcome in my book.

Anyway good to see another muso on here.

Piss on that sh!t.... The world needs more like Les Claypool, Geddy Lee, and Billy Sheehan.....

I dabble alittle with the bass now and then... Tried learning myself on the guitar BEFORE pickin up the bass, and couldnt get it down.... The guys are correct above.... Learn what intrests u more in the music... I listen to the bass more than the guitar, so thats the obvious choice..... The best question to ask urself is:

Which instrument to u air guitar best to???

Guitar is the way to go. The world needs more shredders!

You should hear metal without the bas :)

I partly agree either with Heinz and Eddie. I agree with Heinz that you shouldn't spend to much initially on gear. It'll come in time when you know what you want. Learn to play first, 'cause all the FX in the world cannot conceal bad technique, but it will take your mind off practicing those difficult licks! I still try to play as clean as possible, usually straight over the amp. Unfortunately you cannot skip FX sounds in a band nowadays.

On the other hand, if you buy a guitar or your first amp, be sure that you don't buy third rate, as nothing can be so frustrating as being hampered by a bended neck, sharp frets, a bee-in-a-bottle sound etc., especially when you're still a rooky. So take an experienced player with you if you're going to buy something.

Listen to Marcel Desert Fox. Don't skimp on your guitar. To equate 400-600 Aussie dollars could get you a nice electric. Epiphone, schecter, ibanez.

However for about 350-400 you could get a nice steel string acoustic.

Or for about 150 a real nice student nylon guitar.

I have. Go and listen to Metallica's And Justice For All... album. It is one of the greatest metal albums of all times. Listen to it and tell me where the bass is.

There is a bass on the album, it's just a crappy mix with very poor equalising. Listen to the drums on that record. It sounds like Lars is hitting a bunch of paper boxes. Although the songs on that album are really great, I think it's their worst sound ever. Can't understand why they didn't fire that sound technician.

Heinz is right. IF you are proficient on a bass guitar you will ALWAYS have work..NOTHING IN THE WORLD BETTER THAN A TIGHT RHYTHM SECTION! Period.

AND as for bass players..I'd have to agree with hubby on the Les Claypool reference..BUT, i'd say ONE of the best is STILL Bootsy Collins.

There is a bass on the album, it's just a crappy mix with very poor equalising.

Ofcourse there is bass in it, my point was that you cant really hear it. It was not crappy mixing and poor equalizing. That is how they wanted it. I dont know the whole story behind it though...

Marcel said:
Listen to the drums on that record. It sounds like Lars is hitting a bunch of paper boxes. Although the songs on that album are really great, I think it's their worst sound ever. Can't understand why they didn't fire that sound technician.

Drums...paper boxes....????

Are you sure you have actually listened to the album? There is some amazing drumming on that album!

Opinions are opinions my friend and everyone is entitled to there own opinion but I really have to disagree with you here. AJFA is a great album!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back