Battle of Britain veteran interview

Discussion in 'WWII Videos' started by corbo, Oct 17, 2013.

1. corbo

corbo New Member

Hello,
    In the following
    Michael Wainwright | Pilot
    Veteran Wainwright, in video No2, min 0.49, says some words I was unable to catch (something like "C or sea etc) to describe a typical Blenheim air-to-air attack. Could someone in the Forum help me decipher? I thank you very much in advance. Regards

2. stona

stona Well-Known Member

#2 stona, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    He says "the famous one was the C3 attack." and then goes on to describe it how it was done in a Hawker Fury, not a Blenheim. I'd have to check but it is probably one of the attacks from the so called "fighting area tactics".
    Cheers
    Steve
    Edit. The C3 attack was not one from the fighting area tactics which were simply numbered 1-6. It's not an expression I've heard before but he obviously remembers it very well.

3. corbo

corbo New Member

Thank you so much Steve and Edit. Hope to reciprocate

4. corbo

corbo New Member

Can you please tell me where I can get details of those Fighting Area Tactics? Thanks a lot

5. stona

stona Well-Known Member

Don't be confused by the name. Fighting Area was the predecessor of Fighter Command in the days of "zone" and "interceptor" fighters. The Air Defence of Great Britain (ADGB) was reorganised in 1936 and Fighter Command was born.
    The six methods of attack are listed below. As you can see they often involved formation flying at least as a section (3 aircraft) and sometimes an entire squadron. They were carried over into Fighter Command and, being very inflexible, proved hopelessly out dated in 1940, faced with the tactics adopted by the Luftwaffe.

Fighter Attack No.1 (From Above Cloud) {3 aircraft Section vs single enemy}

Fighter Attack No.2 (From Directly Below) {3 aircraft Section vs single enemy}

Fighter Attack No.3 (From Dead Astern) Approach Pursuit or Approach Turning

Fighter Attack No.4 (From Directly Below) {A variation of No.2, attacking multiple aircraft}

Fighter Attack No.5 (From Dead Astern) {For attacking a large enemy formation}

Fighter Attack No.6 (From Dead Astern) {Attack conducted with entire squadron}

Cheers

Steve

6. corbo

corbo New Member

Thank you very much stona. Very interesting. As a matter of fact I didn't know Fighter Command's previous name. Cheers