BBMF Hurricane going to India. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I've just got the November edition of Aeroplane magazine, where it announces that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Hurricane MkII, LF363, will be going to India, where it will be the founder of the new, or renewed, Indian Air Force Historic Flight.
Hurricane LF363 'The Last of the Many', was built at Langley (UK), and first flew on January 1st 1944, being the last Hurricane to enter RAF service, and has been on charge with the RAF ever since, and was the founding aircraft of the original RAF Historic Flight, based at Bigin Hill, in 1957. She has appeared in a number of movies, including Reach for the Sky, and has a certain place in my memory, having worked on and around her, whilst photographing the 'Flight and it's activities in 1982 and 1983, for an Audio Visual production.
The aircraft was almost totally destroyed following a fire after a crash landing in 1991 and, funded by the sale of one of the BBMF's Spitfire PR19's, was rebuilt to flying condition, rejoining the airshow circuit.
No doubt there will be much debate concerning the transfer of this aircraft, but it's not all bad news, as part of the transfer deal involves a Hurricane Mk1 coming to Britain for rebuild to flying condition, after which it will join the BBMF. This, however, is likely to take several years.
Also on the 'good news' front, BBMF Spitfire MkII, P7350 is airborne again, following a year-long rebuild.
This aircraft is due to appear in a BBC Television drama, based on the book 'First Light', by Sqn.Ldr Geoffrey Wellum, former 92 Sqn pilot during the Battle of Britain, which is scheduled for screening during summer, 2010, the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

hey Dogsbody i've just finished first light a couple of days ago, good book i hope the Beeb does it justice !!!!

shame about the hurricane leaving, hope they mange to get the hurricane MkI up and flying again soon as !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back