Beaufighter - Collapsing Pilot's Seat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ronl

Airman
Dec 23, 2006
I asked this question on the Australian Beaufighter 21 Descriptive Manual thread, but thought I would ask it here as well. I have a question for all Beaufighter enthusiasts. As I understand it, the Beaufighter pilot's seat collapsed and folded backward to allow the pilot to get out. Would someone be able to confirm if the seat pan also moved, or was it only the back of the seat that folded down?

I have read one pilot state the Beaufighter seat would "collapse and buckle forward", but this doesn't sound right to me from other descriptions that I have read. I am not sure why he stated it would buckle forward unless the seat pan possibly moved forward at the same time. Any information, pictures, drawings, etc describing the seat folding/collapsing process would be much appreciated. This was quite a unique set up for the pilot's seat, and I am not aware of any other cockpit that had this type of arrangement (other than other Bristol aircraft possibly). Due to the cockpit set up, there are not many pictures that give good detail to the pilots seat arrangement. Thanks in advance.

Ron

This is all I have, from Pilots Notes-Beaufighter II,

seat.JPG

Geo

Thanks Fubar57. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back