Beaufighter MK IIF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nsmekanik

Senior Airman
Apr 26, 2005
Nanton
The plan is to build a 1/72 MK IIf Beaufighter using the Airfix kit with the Alleycat conversion. The High Planes decals I have bought has a 406 Squadron MK II 'HU*M' serial R2283 with angled tail planes, that I intend to build. So far I've only managed to come across 2 pictures of an 'HU*M', a really grainy one which doesn't have much detail, and a fairly clear rear side view which show part of the serial, R238? with what appears to be flat tail planes.
Beaufighter-MkIIF-RCAF-406Sqn-HUM-England-Sep-1941-01.jpg
arms_air_fighter_406_1.jpg

I would like to find out what I can about 'HU*M' and MK IIf's in general,
Tim
beers_zpsca3baa88.gif

The R2283 belonged to the Bristol Aeroplane Co., Filton built 300 aircraft series. The block R2270-2284 was built as the Mk.II. As memo serves all Mk.IIs, I mean the early, mid and late production planes, had the flat tail attached. The exception was the R2270 that was used for trials with the dihedral tailplane.

R2270 during trials ...

r2270.jpg

the pic source: Samolot myśliwski Bristol Beaufighter

The R2274 was converted into Mk.V but as you may notice the plane had the flat tail like the entire block of Beaus.

r2274.jpg

r2274_.jpg

the pic source: Bristol 156 Beaufighter | BAE Systems | International

If you are doing these plane please remember that the paint they used at the time is very mat .
It was not till later that the paint was a semi gloss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back