Beaufighters of the RAAF (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bradr

Banned
Jan 28, 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
I'm wanting to build a Beaufigther as flown by my uncle in WWII whilst in the RAAF. I'm aware of two particular aircraft that he flew in being A19-30 and A19-113.

What I am wanting to know is:

1. What mark of Beaufighter were they (I know they weren't mark XXI as they had the prefix A 8) but I think the RAAF had Mk IC , VI and X.

2. At the time of flying both these aircraft, my uncle was in 31 Squadron. What would the colour scheme have been and what numbers and letters would have appeared on the side of the aircraft?

I'm sure there is someone out there who knows or can lead me to the answers!!

cheers,

bj

G'Day Brad, 31 squadron had the sqn prefix of EH and operated out of Coomalie Creek, Darwin for most of the war.
A19-30 was a Mk1c and A19-113 was a MkVIc, both made by Bristol. I don't know the individual code letters assigned to these planes. Maybe Pete knows.
Also if you tell me your uncles last name I can find out other Beaufighters and ops he flew on.
Cheers

Attachments

• listing.jpg
    listing.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
G'day Fellas,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies!!

My uncle was 406931 Reginald Ellis. You can see his exploits in A19-30 and the incident on 25 Jan 1944 at Gorrie with A19-113 was him, too - I only know these as the accident reports are available at the National Archives. A19-113 had a few mishaps....

Ozhawk, what does the reference "TSN 263.30" mean in the entry of 16 September 1943 for A19-30?

He also flew Dakotas operationally with the RAAF after the war and was involved in an incident at Darwin airport when A65-102 had a stuck tail wheel and ran off the tarmac.

Family legend has it that he flew under the Sydney Harbour Bridge not long after getting his wings and I note that he was found guilty at a court martial at around that time - I am awaiting a copy of proceedings to confirm if the legend is true.

cheers,

bj

Last edited:
Hey Peter,

Thanks for that - and for the pic.

Interesting, though - Reg Ellis survived the war and died in the 1980s (and...I don't know...it doesn't quite look like him...)

More mysteries for the pot!!

cheers,

bj

That is a mystery then. Parnell identifies this person as Ellis 406931. A misidentification perhaps as the photo source - Quance - may have given the wrong info for the photo.

Here's a list of the participants he gives for No9 Beaufighter Course.

Attachments

• No9 listing.jpg
    No9 listing.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 235
Hmm - the wonders of conflicting records!!

Reg's service papers show him as being in No6 Beaufighter course with 5 OTU from 3 April 1943 to 5 June 1943 and that he passed that course at that time.

He was then posted to 31 Sq on flying duties on 23 June 1943.

There is also a strange entry, which I can't quite make out which says:

"Participated in Op/Flight (squiggle) sea 9/9/43 31Sq POR 22(or could be 23)/43" (items in brackets are my comments).

cheers,

bj

Dunno Pete. This stuff used to confuse me in the Army and it still does! I'm fairly certain nowday's you subtract the 10 hrs to get Kilo time in Darwin, whether it is the same for 1940's Darwin I'm not sure..

Yes, I can only agree!! Another NAA record to pore over!!

Thanks for that, Pete.

Also, the mystery of the Beaufighter course - do you have a pic of the 6th course? Maybe I can identify him from that.

cheers,

bj

Yes - but not in the book, but on the AWM website.

Here it is.

Parnell has only has a small list of names for this course. Most being unknown.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• beaufighter course 6 P03594.005.jpg
    beaufighter course 6 P03594.005.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 175
Thanks once again, Peter,

I've tried to find that picture on the AWM site but without success - I tired using his surname as well as Beaufighter course but wasn't able to get it. If I search for beaufighter I end up with over 1200 options.....

Have you had a chance to determine the particular aircraft Reg Ellis flew in?

cheers,

bj

Hi bj

The photo from the AWM is for No.5 Operational Training Unit at Wagga Wagga. It's not referenced by "Beaufighter". Some photos lack good references to bring them up in a search.

Australian War Memorial - P03594.005

I have not been specifically compiling a list of aircraft your Uncle Reg flew. For his time in 31 Squadron you can review the squadron daily operations (in the previous NAA link) and get a fair idea of the serials. As for the Squadron codes, that may be a little more difficult. Not all are know, and they sometimes changed.

You may be able to turn up further records with other units he flew with at the NAA.

The best source of information would be his Flight Log Book. Are you aware if this held by one of your relatives?
If so, it may have other great information for you.

Cheers

Peter

G'day Peter,

Thanks for the reference - much appreciated.

Thanks, too, for your comments on where to go to from here.

cheers,

bj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back