Beaufort with 2,000lb bomb.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
Has anyone got any shots of RAAF Beauforts loaded with 2000lb bombs? Am interested to see how far they protrude outside the bomb bay.

Attachments

• OG-858.jpg
    OG-858.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,246
Heck! Would they fit at all?!
Those are American bombs, the 500 lb version were sometimes used by Bomber Command Lancs, and 2 Group Mitchells in the ETO, and the 2,000 lb was most likely used on other RAAF types in the PTO, with the Mitchell again coming to mind. But the British 2,000lb was longer and of smaller diameter, looking rather like a short torpedo, and I think it would be that type used on the Beaufort, if it was actually used.

I found this... at the 016218 | Australian War Memorial

The Description
VIVIGANI, GOODENOUGH ISLAND, PAPUA. 1943-11-17. ARMOURERS LOADING A 2000LB DAISY-CUTTER BOMB INTO A BEAUFORT BOMBER AIRCRAFT OF NO. 8 SQUADRON RAAF COMMANDED BY WING COMMANDER G. D. NICOLL IN READINESS FOR THE HEAVY ALL-AUSTRALIAN PRE-DAWN RAID ON LAKUNAI AERODROME, RABAUL. THESE BOMBS, BELIEVED TO BE THE MOST DEVASTATING YET USED IN THE SOUTH-WEST PACIFIC, WERE DEVISED BY THE GROUNDSTAFF OF A BEAUFORT SQUADRON. THE BOMB BEARS A MESSAGE IN CHALK, READING: 2000LB FROM NIC HIS 300 THIEVES.

016218.jpg

Ah, so they were used! Great find Wojtek!
In the original pic, they looked like they would be too wide to fit, but the Beaufort's bomb bay is wider than I thought. It appears that the bomb was loaded centrally in the bay, and the doors must have been either left open, or closed up to the bomb casing, as the central door sections seem to have been removed.

I must admit I was sure the bomb didn't fit the bomb bay too. And I was suprised finding the image.

Not sure what shackle system would be used Andy, as the American bombs had different suspension lug spacing. At a guess, there would be a mod to the bomb bay torpedo shackles, as a bomb carrier would normally be fitted to the top of the bomb, and then clamped to the shackle jaws in the bay, when British bombs were carried.

Wow. I'm with Terry. I didn't realize the Beaufort bombbay was that wide! Great pic for adding to a kit by the way. Thanks for posting amigo. You always seem to amaze.

The bomb bay is some 20cm wider than the cockpit which was wide enough for two crew side be side with comfort. Figures 1 8 below shows how the lower fuselage bulges below the wing
For some Aus Beaufort manuals see http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/ot...uals-21513.html?highlight=Australian+Beaufort
From the RAAF 294 manual on the page above
Note this is an early version of the manual which covered the RAF order aircraft with a single 303 in the left wing (RAAF aircraft had a .50 in each wing) and the big turret with the single Vickers GO gun (all RAAF Beauforts had the Blenhiem turret with two Browning 303s. The first 90 Beauforts in Aus were built for the RAF and after the fall of Singapore absorbed into the RAAF
This manual indicates that all Aus built Beauforts were able to carry the British 2000 lb bomb which in turn suggests the RAF aircraft were the same as the only mods incorporated in the first 52 aircraft were the replacement of the Taurus powerplant with the Lockheed Hudson powerplant with Curtiss props and an adaptor structure and the deletion of some equipment like autopilot.

Attachments

• Beaufort bomb loads txt.jpg
    Beaufort bomb loads txt.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Beaufort bomb loads.jpg
    Beaufort bomb loads.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Bomb bay 01.png
    Bomb bay 01.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Bomb bay 02.png
    Bomb bay 02.png