Beaver close call

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Take Off on the lake going wrong.

Sunny

Attachments

• Close Call - De Havilland_ Beaver .wmv
    8.2 MB · Views: 114
DeHavilland Beaver carrying a family of four and two dogs crashed moments after liftoff from Lake Spenard on Sunday afternoon, according to a federal investigator.

The pilot, his wife, two boys and the pets were uninjured but they were "shaken pretty good," said the investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board.

The apparent cause of the accident, shortly before 2 p.m., was a strong gust of wind that apparently pushed the Beaver hard to the left; the pilot couldn't climb out of it before hitting ground next to a Lake Hood canal, said Howard Plagens, the NTSB investigator.

After the plane hit the ground, it crashed through a boundary fence and spun around on the grass next to the parking lot of the Alaska Department of Transportation office building, according to Plagens.

"He hit it just right not to have any injuries," Plagens said. "We are all very happy with that," he added.

Plagens said the pilot told him that there were no mechanical issues with his plane and liftoff was normal until the gust of wind struck the plane.

The planes N number is N915RC if any one wants to look up the accident report or for more photos of before and after the crash.

I can't think of one reason why he didn't chop the power as soon as the gust came. :confused: He could then have taxied back and taken off normally.

I can't think of one reason why he didn't chop the power as soon as the gust came. :confused: He could then have taxied back and taken off normally.

For the same reason you might hit the gas instead of the brake when turning left at an intesection which causes you to get hit in the side of your car.
He panicked a bit or just made the wrong choice, IMO.

Have to say it was excellent camera work though, except when he drops to the ground he keeps the plane in focus and fairly centered in the picture.

Wheelsup

Even if he didn't notice the windsock (windsocks are there for a reason), the fact that the wind was kicking the spray from his wake hard to his left (typically goes straight back from the prop-wash) should have been a little clue...let alone the fact that the wind must have been blowing on him when he untied his crate from the dock...

What a dumbass...

I'll post a couple screens for ya', Wheelsup :thumbleft:

Attachments

• Beaver_TOissues1.jpg
    Beaver_TOissues1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Beaver_TOissues2.jpg
    Beaver_TOissues2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 76
The guy took off in a crosswind and in the end didn't calculate his take off distance based on the wind conditions and take off performance. Gust of wind or not, he still should of ensured that he had enough take off area based on the known weather conditions, his payload, and the performance of the aircraft. Thank god they walked away from that.

He must have known that he was in trouble almost as soon as he started. I don't buy the gust of wind as an excuse. The wind was 90 degrees certainly but it doesn't look as if it was very strong and I couldn't see signs of a gust. The trees were pretty stationary before during and after as were the flowers on the ground. I don't know the rating of the windsock but would be surprised if the cross wind was more than 10-15 kts.
When he started its possible that he was protected from the wind by the land behind him. However why he didn't cut the engine, line up down river and have a better attempt is anyone's guess

Looks like he rotated early and stalled. But wind or overweight, I can't tell.

Pb does have a point about the wind and this seems to be somewhat confirmed with what appears to be drift towards the shore during the run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back