Beer Run for Fosters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
I remember a story about P-47 pilots flying to Australia to pick up beer. They'd fill empty drop tanks with beer bottles. Only the best pilots would make the beer run. They had to fly high enough to ice the beer. If they flew too high and froze the beer, the bottles could break. They, as u can imagine, had to use extreme caution when landing so as not to destroy the precious cargo.

I'm pretty sure I read this in Air and Space.

and yes, I know that Fosters is not highly reguarded in Australia. thats beside the point

Nothing surprises me Wild. Fosters beer run though. Bit hard to believe when VB was available or Fourex but Fosters nahh. Must have been some American read it some where and thought straight away it had to be Fosters because we export it. Cos ever think why we export it. Because we keep the good stuff here that is why hahaha

Nothing surprises me Wild. Fosters beer run though. Bit hard to believe when VB was available or Fourex but Fosters nahh. Must have been some American read it some where and thought straight away it had to be Fosters because we export it. Cos ever think why we export it. Because we keep the good stuff here that is why hahaha

Ahh dude.. I mentioned that in the original post. Any Yank worth a damn knows that Aussies hate Fosters. The P-47's were piloted by Americans in the story I read. The beer doesnt matter but the stor=y is interesting.

Servicemen always like to believe that they are getting away with something.

We still do that stuff today. On any US Army deployment there is no drinking allowed. We would fly to European Camps fill up our flight bags with beer and bring them back to camp!

We still do that stuff today. On any US Army deployment there is no drinking allowed. We would fly to European Camps fill up our flight bags with beer and bring them back to camp!

Cool, good to hear the American trooper still has the layman's disrespect for stupid rules. Beer. What is the military (any military) without it?

I am sure most of you know the story but Spits carried bear to the French coast during WW2. The bear was strapped to the bomb racks. Much more civilised.

Not only the Allies had a thirst. Adolf Galland also was shuttling some Champagne for a birthday party for Osterkamp when he got into a dogfight and was battered. Apparently only some extra windshield armour saved him put in at the last minute by his groundcrew. He and the bubbly made it back to celebrate.

A few years ago they found a plane (cant recall the type) that was shuttling some of Hitlers Congac to the Berghof (Eagles Nest). It was shot down and crashed into a lake. The Cognac was still in shape and in the bottles in the crates.

Damn I would have loved to have tried some of that stuff.

I found some pics...

Attachments

• Spitfire_2.jpg
    Spitfire_2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Spitfire_3.jpg
    Spitfire_3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Spitfire_1.jpg
    Spitfire_1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 85
I'd like to see a Lanc loaded with beer

It was on or about 6-10 june 44 they were stationed in Normandy and bemoaned the fact they had no beer so they hooked up with a brewery or landlord at their local for the kegs and had the riggers weld bomb attchments to the kegs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back