Berlin Wall in My Neighborhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
I thought a rumor I heard was a joke but I have really found the Berlin Wall relics in a Korean temple in my town, about 20 minutes walk from my home.
They say the display shows their strong wishes for reunification of Korea.
No way but I introduce this my 'discovery' to you all.

Temple name: Tohkoku-ji

DSC_1058S.JPG
DSC_1063S.JPG
DSC_1067S.JPG
DSC_1076S.JPG

Thanks for your kind comment, Adler.
Frankly it was my honorable experience to see real ones.
Looked sturdy built calculated well.

DSC_1069S.JPG
DSC_1070S.JPG

Shinpachi, truely amazing my friend, hard to imagine, sections of the old wall in Japan! Like Chris, I saw the wall when it was in place. The concrete barriers were only a small part of the wall.

Attachments

• 1000px-Structure_of_Berlin_Wall_svg.png
    1000px-Structure_of_Berlin_Wall_svg.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 127
Chris, you're a brave man, I still remember the looks the Soviet guards gave us and the loaded guns and the thought that nothing much would be done if we were shot then and there. As I recall something like 140 men were killed trying to cross.
On a lighter note I reall our hosts in West Berlin using the wall as a garbage dump. Up over and gone.

The line of the wall is still marked out, its a strange feeling, at one time it was a life and death struggle

I agree that it is a strange feeling.

I got the opportunity to take the "Duty Train" from Frankfurt to Berlin back in the 80s. Took a tour through both West and East Berlin. I still the passport today with the Checkpoint Charlie stamp in it, as well as the orders allowing me and my family to be in East Germany and East Berlin (typed in English, German, French and Russian.)

I went back to Berlin the last time back in 2006/2007, and it was still weird to see how the city itself has changed (and not changed in many ways).

Chris, you're a brave man, I still remember the looks the Soviet guards gave us and the loaded guns and the thought that nothing much would be done if we were shot then and there. As I recall something like 140 men were killed trying to cross.
On a lighter note I reall our hosts in West Berlin using the wall as a garbage dump. Up over and gone.

Nothing really brave about it. It was a military tour. All of us were soldiers (in Class A uniforms) and family members. We were under East German and Russian guards, with an East German tour guide who took us through "no mans land". Overall it was an amazingly eye opening experience.

My first encounter with Soviet Soldiers though was on the train at the East German boarder. Border troops boarded our train to make sure everyone's passports and orders were in order. I remember as the train pulled out, a Russian soldier with an AK who was standing on the train tracks with an East Germans solder, flashed me the peace sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back