Berlin Wall in My Neighborhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Merv for your comment :)
Another set of photos on the day.

DSC_1056S.JPG
DSC_1061S.JPG
DSC_1062S.JPG
DSC_1064S.JPG
DSC_1065S.JPG
yDSC_1085S.JPG
zDSC_1060S.JPG

Schinpachi, beautiful photos as always. What is the "Kyoto Ear Mound Homecoming"?
The shaping/pruning of the temple plantings is amazing. Not one leaf out of order. I have trouble just keeping the grass cut

Cool,My mother was in Berlin when it was coming down, I have a piece of it at home,also she got a Soviet officers cap which I also have as part of some trade. I remember flying into Berlin,my dad worked for PanAm,we had relatives in Berlin. Would visit then we would rent a car and go thru Checkpoint Charlie on the way to Poland. Always very tense,tank traps,warning mine signs, I remember my father did not understand a command to stop,Heard "Halt, öffnen Sie Ihre Scheiße Fenster", basically halt open your sh@t window. Had bunch of guards point their weapons at us. They made us take literally everything out of the car,unpacked our luggage,rolled a mirror under the car,complete checkout.Not fun. On the way back from Poland it was not much better. My mother hid money because we could not take Polish currency out of the country. They had special stores that you would have to buy anything to leave the Zloty there. It got better over the years but always a stressful part of the trip.

Schinpachi, beautiful photos as always. What is the "Kyoto Ear Mound Homecoming"?
The shaping/pruning of the temple plantings is amazing. Not one leaf out of order. I have trouble just keeping the grass cut

Good question as always Mike :)

"Kyoto Ear Mound Homecoming"

When a Japanese Monarch of the Middle Ages, Hideyoshi Toyotomi, invaded Korea during 1592-1598, his soldiers cut and brought back enemy's ears as evidence of kill number. After counting, these ears were buried in one place. That is called Ear Mound. The number is estimated approx. 20,000.

Koreans in Japan request our government to return the ears to their homeland under the name of Kyoto Ear Mound Homecoming Committee.

That is just so cool. Here in Spartanburg the German company Menzel has a plant here and they have 2 sections of the wall in front of their place.

I find it interesting how parts of something that was seen as a great symbol of division between the Soviets and the West have spread throughout the world.

Great post as always Shinpachi! Thanks for sharing! Very nice to see a huge moment in world history is being preserved all over the world!
I love the other photos you posted as well!

Thank you for your kind comments, David and Messy1!

If I remember correctly, Japanese Government promised to return the ears if two Koreas should be reunified in the future as we have two Koreans from North and South at the moment. Therefore, Germany is good example for them.

You are welcome, Mike :) I agree little would be left.
Two pictures for you, the Mound in the 18th century and today.
The Mound is said built in early 17th century. If so, its appearance looks little changed for 400 years.
Awesome!

In the 18th century, three Dutch men visited the Mound to see. Kyoto people gathered to see the Dutch men.

km_03_03_015g.jpg
img_1496157_58399234_0.JPG

Last edited:
You are welcome, David and Adler.
This has been a good chance for me to understand the Berlin Wall deeper and better.
Thank you very much!

I think I have found out the wall sections in your town, David :)
Menzel LP, Simuel Road, Spartanburg, South Carolina,.jpg

Fascinating history, Shinpachi and terrific pictures, as always.

I've always had a fondness for Berlin, having made many visits over a period of time. My first visit to Berlin was not long after reunification and large parts of the Wall, border checkpoints and barbed wire were still standing, although no longer in use and No Man's Land was still exactly that. Potsdamer Platz was a barren waste land still and throughout subsequent visits to the city, on almost every corner of the Unter Den linden, some Ostie (East German) was hawking DDR medallions, model Trabants and chunks of the Berlin Wall. With all the bits that were being sold on street corners, the Wall must have crossed all of Europe and then some; a bit like Rudolf Hess' Bf 110 in Scotland - with the number of bits that people have claimed were from his Messerschmitt that have turned up across the country; it wasn't a twin engined fighter he flew to Scotland, but something the size of an A380.

The last time I was in Berlin was 2002; we visited the Sony Center in Potsdamer Platz and I couldn't help but marvel at what it had been like less than ten years earlier.

More great pictures Shinpachi....Thanks. On a side note had the best curry wurst pomme frite at a cafe by the Europlatz way back..

You are welcome, Torch :)

I forgot to tell.
There is a traditional Japanese cafe beside the Korean temple gate.

This temple was originally built for the Korean residents around this wide area about 1,400 years ago but they became Japanese soon.
Therefore, they are not regarded as Koreans nowadays but their culture and lifestyle influenced our life style very much.
I think this 'Japanese style' cafe also came from such influence.

DSC_1055_cropped_S.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back