Best 1:48 Hurricane mk I?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hi all,
The last Hawker Hurricane I built was probably 20years ago, so I'm definitely no expert on what Hurricane kits are better than others.

I'm now considering buying a 1:48 Hurricane mk I kit to complete my Battle of Britain collection and can't decide between the Italeri and new Airfix kits? I've heard excellent things about both, if I may sum up, the Italeri kit seems very accurate with the fabric well depicted but because of the separate cowling covers and wing gun separate inserts,there are some bad fit problems. The Airfix,from what I've read,is almost flawless except for not having drilled out guns and the canopy has no mirror,if the version you want to depict had one.

I've never been an Airfix fan,always getting the feeling from their kits of being more toy than scale model,but is this new generation Airfix Hurricane different? Which of the two kits is better?

Thank you for your advice!

I like the new Airfix Hurricane (which has absolutely nothing in common with the old '70s release). It's not my scale, so I haven't built one, but those who know better than me generally agree that it is hands down the best 1/48 Hurricane Mk I kit available. It is consistently rated better than the Hasegawa/Italeri version.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I value your advice and that certainly backs up everything I've read about the Airfix kit.

It also seems that most of the after market stuff (eduard exhausts and wheels to name two) have been designed to fit the Airfix release.

I guess it's decided then!

Thanks Steve, I value your advice and that certainly backs up everything I've read about the Airfix kit.

It also seems that most of the after market stuff (eduard exhausts and wheels to name two) have been designed to fit the Airfix release.

I guess it's decided then!

Good luck with the build. I think you'll end up with a nice Hurricane in that scale.

Cheers

Steve

I'm a bit late, but I'd agree - the new Airfix Hurricane is head and shoulders above all others, and is, without doubt, the best Hurricane kit in any scale.
Their original 1/48th scale kit, from the late 1970s, was accurate, and very good, but is, of course, basic by today's standards.
Such things as the gun ports not being open, and a lack of mirror, are very easily added, and are very, very minor points, not worth criticising.

Thanks for everyone's answers. I really appreciate your opinions and input.

The Air fix kit is on order along with an Edward interior PE set and Eduard Dunlop wheels.

To Jest Airfix
IMGP3589.jpg

IMGP3590.jpg

IMGP3591.jpg

IMGP3600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back