Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Motörhead

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Saxon

• Diamond Head

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
What was the best Metal Band of the 1970s?

For me it is Black Sabbath quickly followed by Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

If there is someone that you think should be on the list let me know and I can add it.

Iron Maiden as a 70's Metal Band???

I dont think so.... Maidens first recorded album was in 1980, and Bruce Dickinson's recorded debut with Iron Maiden was 1982's The Number of the Beast...

Maiden, as far as Im concerned, as well as most Metalheads, is defined by Dickensons vocals.... I cant categorize them within the 70's...

As far as Priest goes, British Steel, one of the Greatest Metal albums of all time, was released in 1980...
Their previous albums were ok....

Sad Wings of Destiny 1976
Sin After Sin 1977
Stained Class 1978
Hell Bent for Leather 1979

The only obvious chioce here is Sabbath, whose albums of the 70's changed everything...
1970 Black Sabbath
1971 Paranoid
1971 Master of Reality
1972 Black Sabbath, Vol. 4
1973 Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
1975 Sabotage
1976 Technical Ecstasy
1978 Never Say Die!

The other bands listed dont hold a flame against Ozzie and Sabbath...

Iron Maiden was formed in 1975 and they toured heavily and built a very large following world wide before there self title release of 1980. I agree that Bruce Dickinson defined Maidens Sounds but they certainly were a band starting in the 1970s and therefore are in the poll. Hell Dickinson did not join Iron Maiden until 1982's The Number of the Beast but Killers was also a really great album.

As for Judas Priest I agree that there first real great album was in 1980 as well.

I dont really think of Led as a Metal band, that is why I did not put them in there along with AC/DC and Kiss. All great bands but more of a Hard Rock than a Heavy Metal.

no contest whatsoever purple
Highway Star
Lazy
Smoke on the Water
My Women in Tokyo
Child in Time
Hush
Certainly outdoes Iron Man and War Pigs

I think Deep Purple is a great band but I think that Black Sabbath was the epitome of Metal in the 70s. They really started it all and deserve the greatest title for that reason.

There were so many excellent bands in the 70's I have trouble even putting Black Sabbath in the top 10
not a mention for Uriah Heep with Demons and Wizards or Stealin or Easy living not the longevity of Sabbath but Sabbath has nothing compared to stealin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlxitnJq3w

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4o--q6xuvs

Great band but I cant give you Uriah Heep in a Heavy Metal Catagory. Great Hard Rock in my opinion but not Heavy Metal.

They were not thrash however. They were actually the NWOBHM. Great music both of them. I love Maiden and Motorhead but they were not thrash.

Maiden Power Metal of course

But Motorhead I think they have the birth rights to it.....they were the first to fuse punk and metal together which is what thrash basically is. From that we have speed metal aswell.

Aslong as its metal I'm happy8)

I saw Black Sabbath and Deep Purple in the old Montreal forum several times.
Deep Purple was at its very best live in Montreal . Ian Paice did an incredible twenty minute version of The Mule one night ...........
I was listening to "Lucille" the other day.
One night it was Buddy Milles -Uriah Heep - Deep Purple.
The recorded albums were only a ghost of the live concerts.
Glenn

I am the same way. I listen to more Maiden than Sabbath but Sabbath was the best of the 70s when it comes to Metal. They gave birth to what we know as metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back