Best dogfighter

• North American P-51D Mustang

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Supermarine Spitfire Mk XIV

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Focke Wulf FW 190D-9

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 27, 2011
Great Britain
Just a quick one...

I don't really want replies, just a vote would be brilliant. Reply if you wish, though.

Last edited:
I agree with Barney, when you say dogfighter you are defining a certain type of ACM. In effect tail chasing. If you look at the information distributed by the USN after the Zeke was tested, the pilots of USN fighter were warned, "DO NOT DOGFIGHT WITH THE ZERO!" So, if you are really talking about that type of ACM, the Spitfire is the best choice. I wish all the members would learn about the different types of tactics used in ACM.

There was one aspect of Zero where most/all of it's adversaries were bad at - the climb rate at low speeds. So the Zero was able to out-climb an enemy plane while both flying at, say, 200-250 mph. IIRC the Fw-190 enjojed the similar advantage vs. USN types when tested, basically the 190 will out-climb them (in effect disengaging for a short time), enabling the pilot to dive back at the enemy. Since the Spit XIV should be able to do the similar trick, guess that makes him at good dogfighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back