Best flying boat/amphibian of WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You mean like this ....

These were uploaded by FlyboyJ some time ago...

Charles

Those are my shots taken last year during the fires and the Mars is coming over the orth shoreline of Lake Elsinore. I shot the side view at 48mm.
Jim Mumaw
Lancaster, CA:wave:

It may not have been the best in every role but a lot of downed pilots, allied and axis would have been very happy to see the Shagbat/Steam Chicken (Supermarine Walrus). Oddly enough, designed by R.J. Mitchell before moving on the the Spitfire.

This URL might interest a few:

Down in the Drink 1

It may not have been the best in every role but a lot of downed pilots, allied and axis would have been very happy to see the Shagbat/Steam Chicken (Supermarine Walrus). Oddly enough, designed by R.J. Mitchell before moving on the the Spitfire.

Good for you mentioning the old Shagbat. Not the greatest flying boat/amphibian of WWII, but tons of character and always a favorite of mine (now I've just to find my Shagbat, Sea Otter and [postwar] Seagull and start working on them again).

Venganza

Not sure if people new this but the RAAF operated 6 Do24's in the Pacific. I believe the plane was built in the Netherlands by Fokker (correct if im wrong). The planes were shipped to the Dutch East Indies where once invaded, managed to escape to AUS.

As for the best, I think the Emily was the best flying boat of WW2. They all were very effective at their intended roles though.

My favourite is the Sunderland.

I must go with the Sunderland, however I'm partial as my Dad was on Sunderlands post-war.

Just to throw a cat among the pidgeons Let us consider the ruggedness of the Famous Flying Porcupine. This is best illustrated by the events of29 /30th May 1943 Capt. Gordon Singleton, Winstanley 461Sqdn. RAAF lands his Sunderland on rough oceans to rescue the crew of a downed whitley bomber {Possibly one of the last operational whitley missions of history}as well as the crew of the previous Sunderland sent to save them the crews are rescued but it is deemed to rough to take off so a nearby patrolling French destroyer is enlisted to transfer the rescued airmen and to put the Flying boat under tow. This all went to plan for a while untill the constant pounding by the ocean resulted in the towing bollard breaking off from the Sunderlands Bow so nothing left for it but to take off or abandon. Singleton chose to take off and with waves breaking over the cockpit itself he lifted the wallowing beast into the air. Unfortunately this takeoff tore large peices off the hull of rendering her no longer able to float. The Skipper decided to land on the grass airfield near to their own base. Sinleton placed the A/C down with such precision that there was only one furrow in the Airstrip and the Plane didnt settle onto its wing floats untill it was stationary all hands exited the A/C unharmed. One member had ben injured prior to the post tow takeoff. These details are from memory so there may be some errors but this is one of the more famous Flying Boat actions of the war and is well documented including a series of photo's taken from varios vantage points including from the stern of the French destroyer showing the waves breaking entirely over the Aircraft. So just thought i'd put my two cents in. In our country the boys who flew the bombers and coastal command A/C haven't received the credit they deserve i beleive.

In addition to the above if anyone knows of location online of the Photo's of this event i would be most apreciative of directions. Cheers

Not sure if people new this but the RAAF operated 6 Do24's in the Pacific. I believe the plane was built in the Netherlands by Fokker (correct if im wrong). The planes were shipped to the Dutch East Indies where once invaded, managed to escape to AUS.

Some more info on the Dutch/RAAF Do24s,

NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Dornier Do 24

Seems some were destroyed by the Japanese in a raid on Broome

Attack on Broome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

March 3, 1942 Air Raid Against Broome

Well I'll have a lash at this and just so were all clear I got these immages from the Australian War Museum and i am not trying to get anyones back up so let me know if i've crossed a copyright boundary. Ah well i would of if i could upload pics from my computer {pffft internet my eye }

Well I'll have a lash at this and just so were all clear I got these immages from the Australian War Museum and i am not trying to get anyones back up so let me know if i've crossed a copyright boundary. Ah well i would of if i could upload pics from my computer {pffft internet my eye }

Hi Popsie,
If you scroll down on the homepage of this site, there is a section/tutorial on signatures and uploading images. Took me a bit to get on to it, but it's simple once you get it figured out.

Attachments

• umpCAHR9BJ6.jpg
    umpCAHR9BJ6.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 176
  • ump.jpg
    ump.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 195
  • umpCAUSOT5F.jpg
    umpCAUSOT5F.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 184
In no particular order of preferance, knowing that most, if not all, of the particulars have been aired. Catalina, Do24, Emily and Sunderland. Pushed to make a choice, a toss-up between Emily and Sunderland. My favourite, the Sunderland, such a wonderful line from C-class to Solent! To the Walrus fans, like the Stringbag, obsolete yes, outclassed? Not in that war.
A while back somebody mentioned the worst. Saro Lerwick............

A while back somebody mentioned the worst. Saro Lerwick............

I'd have to go with that. It was to flying boats what the unlamented Botha was to light bombers. I have a model of the Lerwick - an old Contrail vacuform kit. It's actually not a bad looking plane, something like a twin-engined Sunderland, but unstable both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically.

Venganza

Like with most of the "Best of" threads, I can't really pick one particular favourite but I have a soft spot for the looks of the PBY Catalina/Canso, also for it's longevity.... some were still being used commercially up to the late 80s (maybe longer). .... not bad for an aircraft designed in the 30s. An aquatic DC3/C47 maybe.

The Do24 is another I like, for looks and capability. But hampered by being on the "wrong side" in WW2 and not getting a lot of exposure worldwide

The Sunderland would be rated highly due to it's role in the Atlantic war

The Emily was probably the best and most capable of all the the main ones discussed here but also hampered by being on the "wrong side" in WW2 and not getting a lot of exposure worldwide.

But I think if I had to pick a personal favourite I would pick the Walrus, although not the best looking and most capable definitly deserves a mention.... :)

Walrus
Thanks guys plenty of material for consideration.
A free weekend and lots of links to take in.
My attempt to use them in a constructive manner.
regards
blobs

PS any further details, particularly of the internal views would be to die for.

Again, it matters what one means by "best". I would generally go with either the Catalina and/or Sutherland if we are considering overall war record, numbers produced, versatility, reliability, and basic "greatness". If we are going for the "best", I'd tend to agree with those who put the Kawanishi H8K as the top flying boat. If we include floatplanes, virtually any Japanese naval scout should be chosen in the single-engine category, and the He-115 would be a good twin engined shore based choice. I would not include either the Mars or Bv222 because they were produced in such small numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back