Best German Fighter of WWII

BF-109 v. Focke Wulf 190

• BF-109

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Focke Wulf 190

Votes: 36 75.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zniperguy114

Airman
Jan 29, 2010
Pennslyvannia
The two most famous fighters of the third reich are the Messerschmitt BF-109 and the Focke-Wulf 190. So now I pose a simple question - which do think to be better and why?

Last edited:
It was the Luftwaffe's main fighter. Bf-109

My favourite version of it was the G-14. In real life and in IL2. :)

Tons of threads like this here but my personal favorite is the Fw 190. Beside the personal taste of how it looks I think it edges the Bf 109 because I believe radials were able to take damage and still keep ticking. One of the attributes of the P-47 although that alone doesn't make it better than say - the P-51. Same with the Fw 190. Both great machines but that ability to take the damage tips the scales for me.

I've voted for the Fw190, for the damage-absorbing and aesthetic reasons Njaco has already covered, but also because of it's versatility and incredible armament-carrying capacity. Certain variants were able to carry 2x30mm or 4x20mm cannon in additionto thier standard armament, which was already respectable. It was also, IMHO, a more effective Jabo than the 109E variants, performing better and carrying a heavier payload.

109 for me any aircraft that saw service for so long has to be a great aircraft. I know it isnt rated as the easiest aircraft to handle on the ground but once in the air it was the daddy. I will admit the 190 was probably the better ground pounder and bomber killer but as a fighter the 109 was the choice of most experten.

Fw-190.
Generally they held the following advantages:
- Excellent control harmony and lightness
- Phenomenal roll rate
- Firepower
- Cockpit visibility
- Ruggedness
- Easy take-off and landing characteristics

Bf-109 held the following advantages over any contemporary Fw:
- Better climb rate and acceleration
- Better turn rate
- It did not need the C3 fuel
- It was much cheaper to produce .

Liked the 190, easier to fly. But would've rather been in combat in a 109. Everyone who's flown both seems to lean in that direction. Rapier vs broadsword.

109 was all-engine plane; when the Daimler-Benz were at top, it was on top.
190 have had only one issue: lack of power above certain altitude, putting it into disadvantage vs. Anglo-American high fliers. Unfortunately for Luftwaffe, that issue was ended up being a major one, in crucial time.

Tough choice :)

I think overall I am going to have to go with the Bf 109 here. Any aircraft that can start production so many years before the war and still be competitive until the very end has to have something going for it. The other reason why I will have to go with the 109 is I believe it had the overall better performance at the altitudes that it was most needed. That was where the the bombers were flying. Besides all the highest aces flew the 109 anyhow didn't they? ;)

Fw 190 was a great aircraft thought. I guess it depends on at what conditions and what altitudes you want to compare them at.

Fw 190 for me: Safer on take-off and landing. Better controls, visibility and armament. Bf 109 became a plane for experts of sorts in the second half of the war, Fw 190 was a true allrounder. Only real problem was high altitude performance. Unfortunately that turned out to be extremely crucial.

German aircraft production during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Fw-190 fighter aircraft were produced during 1938. (The Spanish Civil War counts.)
0 Fw-190 fighter aircraft were produced during 1939.
0 Fw-190 fighter aircraft were produced during 1940.
228 Fw-190 fighter aircraft were produced during 1941.
Without the Me-109 fighter aircraft Germany would have lost WWII during 1939 to 1940.

The Fw-190 was a superior aircraft from 1944 onward. But then so were the Me-262, He-162, Do-335 etc. Being in service when it's needed most is what counts.

I think we need to agree on how the comparison is being made. The original question is which aircraft was better? This renders the availability dates a moot point anyway - it's about which plane performed better, in which case I stick with the 190 for the reasons already given

Tough question. The Bf-109 was certainly a better high altitude performer than the Fw-190, but the 190 had a 60% load carrying advantage. I think I would go with the 190 due to load but the 190 needed a better supercharger before the D-9 came out, which was too late.

Hi,

the 190 is the better airframe, but miss a good engine for the job to be done when it appeared in big numbers.

As such the 109 was the better fighter till the end of war, while the 190 was a better attacker.
Only in 1942 the FW190 realy did shine, when the war was not in that high alt and the oponents missed a low level engine.

Btw, the Ta152 is not a FW190, its a new family, same like the Me309 etc. New wings, much different fuselage, etc.

Greetings,

Knegel

Knegel: Most people consider the Ta152 to be simply a late variant of the FW190, the final evolution of the design if you will. RLM changed the naming conventions to use the designers initials ,Ta, for Kurt Tank. Fuselage was lengthened, wingspan was lengthened (identical wing, just longer afaik), different variant of same engine, Jumo 213E for the Ta152 and Jumo 213A for the Dora.

My vote would have to go to the FW190 series. It was more versatile than the 109, did not require the pilot to be an 'experten' to achieve good results with it, it was a more modern design, it evolved into what was arguably the ultimate piston engined fighter, it had sufficient high alt performance with the Doras and Ta152. It was tougher, packed a bigger punch, carried a heavier load, had better visibility than the 109,had some significant advantages in it's manufacturing and assembly process over the 109.

I know the 109 shot down more planes and people love to say that ' most' of the highest ranking aces flew the 109, but I don't believe for one second that those aces would have had any less success if they had flown the 190 instead. Indeed six of the 15 over 200 kill aces flew FW190s for most or part of their careers, including Otto Kittel and Walter Nowotny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back