Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CH-53 Sea Stallion

• MH-53 Pave Low

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • CH-37 Mojave

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
Though this isn't WWII related, what was the best helicopter during the Vietnam War. This doesn't include attack helicopters people!

For me, I like the CH-47 since they can carry downed aircraft under their bellies.

-Pong

There is no contest here.

The best helicopter of Vietnam is the UH-1 Huey.

It flew more missions, more hours and was the helicopter that "carried" the war. It flew more passengers than any other helicopter, was the toughest SOB in the skies, could perform almost every mission possible.

It flew more combat missions and most of all "Dustoff" saved more lives than any other helicopter in Vietnam.

There really is no contest to this question or poll.

Also this thread should have been placed in the Modern or Post War section. I will move it for you.

Besides the argument that the CH-47 could carry other helicopters from a sling is not a good argument. The Skycrane and the Stallion could do it as well...

The Huey can carry small aircraft from a sling underneath as well.

Gotta go with the Huey too. I heard the gunship variant could kick major @ss!
UH-1%20Huey%20helicopter%20gunship.jpg

The Huey no doubt is the iconic multi role helicopter. I also think the AH-1 Cobra deserves a mention.

Ah1cobravietnam.jpg

Isn't it amazing that new versions of the H-1s are just starting to come online...

Attachments

• cobra10.jpg
    cobra10.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 87
  • UH-1Yhuey_1.jpg
    UH-1Yhuey_1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 89
I have flown on the newer ones recently at work. They can seat about 20 if I remember correctly.

When we say "Vietnam war", we (almost) all see a it's icon, the UH-1, in different situations.

Like I said the Huey wins hands down. There is no contest here. You can say your favorite is a different aircraft, but the Huey and Huey Cobra are by far the best Helos to see service in the Vietnam war.

Big difference between favorite and best.

They may not be the best flying today, but the fact that the Huey is still used in more countries than any other aircraft, and the fact that the Huey is still be modernized and built today confirms its status as the best Helo of all times.

C-47 Skytrain = UH-1 Huey

When I first joined the Army, I wanted the Huey (it was also the first helicopter I ever flew in), but they would not let me. I got stuck with the Blackhawk, which I do not regret, it is a great helo as well.

Like I said the Huey wins hands down. There is no contest here. You can say your favorite is a different aircraft, but the Huey and Huey Cobra are by far the best Helos to see service in the Vietnam war.

Big difference between favorite and best.

They may not be the best flying today, but the fact that the Huey is still used in more countries than any other aircraft, and the fact that the Huey is still be modernized and built today confirms its status as the best Helo of all times.

C-47 Skytrain = UH-1 Huey

When I first joined the Army, I wanted the Huey (it was also the first helicopter I ever flew in), but they would not let me. I got stuck with the Blackhawk, which I do not regret, it is a great helo as well.
I believe Sikorsky made a hard sales pitch at the USMC for replacing the old UH-1s. Perhaps the only reason it wasn't chosen was the commonality with the AH-1Z.

Don't forget that without the UH-1, there would never had been the AH-1. The Huey gunship brought about the Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back